87 bayliner 28.5ft contessa gas milage

darren92530

Recruit
I am considering buying a 28.5 ft bayliner contessa. I am curious what type of gas milage I can expect with this type of boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: 87 bayliner 28.5ft contessa gas milage

A little more info would help Darren. Does she come w/ a single small block 350, or big block 454 ? Does she have a Ford block ? What outdrive make ?

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: 87 Bayliner 28.5ft contessa gas mileage

Re: 87 Bayliner 28.5ft contessa gas mileage

Likely about 2.2mpg at Economy Cruise and 1.7mpg at WOT
Should be similar to this Bayliner 285.
Click on "Test Results."

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 87 bayliner 28.5ft contessa gas milage

I am considering buying a 28.5 ft bayliner contessa. I am curious what type of gas mileage I can expect with this type of boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darren, it's important to note that when you buy into this size of boat, the numbers are better calculated in gallons per hour burned. You will understand why it is important to look at the numbers this way if the expense of fuel is objectionable to you. I am assuming since you are asking a question about fuel economy, distance traveling is in your future boating plans. There are many factors that influence "mileage" on this size vessel that do not affect a runabout. Your additional draft is more affected by water currents, and the large bow/high freeboard act like sails in windy conditions. I believe the figures given above are realistic, but don't be surprised if your results are significantly lower.

In the last four years I have seen a sharp decline in the number of gas cruisers that leave their moorings. I suspect a lot of folks have become boat poor. This results in owners only venturing out to anchor in nearby "party coves" for the weekend, but never spending more than 10 minutes on plane around the lake.

Hopefully you are in a position to not be one of those among us who cannot afford to drive our boats "for fun" anymore.

Good luck!