Aftermarket Voltage Regulators- Good, Bad or ?

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hey all,
Have a 1993 150XRi that has recently begun to act up a bit after warming up completely. She'll run the voltmeter at 13.5-13.7 all day long and then start pegging it up to 15+. It'll stay there for the rest of the day it does it. it will run for the first 1/2 an hour or so normally and then bounce up. I checked wiring for rub spots, etc and didn't find anything. Grounds are clean. Battery is good.
My engine has 2 regulators and I am heading down to Destin, Fla in 2 weeks so I took a leap and bought two regulators for the engine as a precaution. NOT Merc or Sierra parts but from a company that does a lot for smaller engines. Snowmobiles, atvs, etc. Less than half the cost of the Merc units and just more than half of the Sierra. I ordered now so I would get them before I leave.
My question- even though it's too late now, has anyone used aftermarkets for this stuff? OK or no? I don't want to cause more damage if avoidable. These units are 6 wire 12V-14.4V units and look exactly like the originals on the engine.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Aftermarket Voltage Regulators- Good, Bad or ?

I use the Sierra as it has a lifetime warranty and they will pay me if it fails, and they will cover any damage their product causes...