Need help on adjusting trailer tongue weight

mcgill

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1987, 18 1/2 foot fiberglass winter bass boat original trailer original boat and it also has a 150 Yamaha Pro-v V6 outboard. I'm trying to get an idea. Of How much does this boat motor and trailer weight.?

Someone told me I don't know how true it is that if I put too much weight forward, it would create a stopping problem. What should the tongue weight of this outfit be.?

When it comes from the factory. Do they have just the trail is weight to be dead on?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Need help on adjusting trailer tongue weight

The tongue weight should be around 7% of the total weight of boat / motor / trailer.

Soooo, if you got 3,000 lbs, (I'm guessing) then about 210 for the tongue weight.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too was told 5% to 13% of trailer tonque weight - depending on each unique Tow Vehicle. Some TV's love light weight tongues and some TV's like heavier weight tongues - to reduce sway on fast hiways. For now , use 8% is good average.

Load trailer as if going on a normal road trip. Then, "scale weight" the loaded trailer. And, "scale weight" its tonque weight on the same scale as well. Then, move boat internal items forward or back - to obtain 8% ratio.

---------------

Since "educated guessing" is required to get loaded boat and trailer to the road scale, one can also:
- Load trailer as if going on a normal trip.
- Determine the trailer axle size. For my trailer, its uses 3,200 lbs single axle.
- My 1996 Bayliner 1700LS boat with 120 HP OB manual states that its Capri trailer should be loaded to max 80%. Never load axles to 100%
- 80% of 3,200 = 2,560 lbs (estimated).
- For average road trip, my trailer, boat and its items is 2,560 lbs (if I follow manual's 80% rule).
- For its trailer tonque, it should weight 2,560 lbs * .08 = 205 lbs (estimate)

If wondering, my trailer weight is listed as 400 lbs, boat weight listed at 1600 lbs. And, add 150 lbs for 1/2 tank of gas and normal safety supplies. Thus, approx 2,600 lbs (for average loaded combo). Thus, proving 3,200 @ 80% works as well.

Before connecting loaded trailer tongue to my Tow Vehicle, I bathroom scale weight my trailer's tonque weight. For this task, simply follow instructions within: http://hildstrom.com/projects/tonguescale/index.html

If necessary, move boat's internal gear & trailer spare tire either forward or back - to obtain a 205 lbs trailer tonque. Or, 8% of your loaded trailer's unique total weight.

Above is good RAW method to balance a trailer boat - in order to get to the formal weight scale. At the weight scale, apply 8%-12% trailer weight ratio to your trailer as well.

Hope this helps...

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

To little tongue weight is a set up for the tail waging the dog.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Someone told me I don't know how true it is that if I put too much weight forward, it would create a stopping problem. What should the tongue weight of this outfit be.?

That can be true for HEAVY loads, think 10,000 pounds on a bumper hitch behind a 1/2 ton. Tongue weight is also lifting your vehicle front end, where most of the braking is done. For what you are talking about, not a concern.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Scary ideas.:eek:

Weigh the boat/trailer ready to launch.
Weigh the tongue.

If the tongue weight is not in a window of 7%-10% rerig the trailer.

1. Position the boat on the trailer so that the transom is firmly supported.
2. Position the winch stand to lock the boat position on the trailer.
3. If needed, move the axle cradle to get the correct tongue weight.

While you are at it, be sure that you have a chain (with turnbuckle) firmly holding the bow eye down to the trailer frame.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Tongue weigh should be "in between" 10-15 percent of total trailer weight comboed with the load.

To little weight makes the trailer look like a spawning salmon swiming up stream (sway)

To much weight takes the weight and the control off the stearing tires (no control)

Weight the trailer total (put the leg down)
Back the boat up so axles off the scale and unhook with just the leg on the scale (are you in the 10-15% area?)

Adjust as nesiecary (SP)

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Tongue weigh should be "in between" 10-15 percent of total trailer weight comboed with the load.

The OP's vehicle owner's manual might tell him what percentage of tongue weight is recommended for his vehicle, because it varies. Mine (Mitsubishi Outlander- a very small SUV) specifically recommends 5-10%.

tpenfield

Staff member

Yup, I tend to agree with the 5-10 % range. . .

With lighter rigs (less than 4K lbs.) you could possibly go higher, but with bigger rigs (say 7K lbs +) over 10% tends to be a bit too much.

Of course, you have the single axle versus tandem or even tri-axle considerations as well

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I would guess that each vehicle that you have may be desighned for only so much tongue weight, but I would bet these vehicles that say the weight should not be over 10% would be in the 1/4 ton or less range.