Seized VP duo prop

beaverliner

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Everyone,
I bought a 1999 Chris Craft 260 Sportdeck with an OMC 454 big block and a Volvo Penta Duo Prop outdrive with SS props.
Boat/Engine/Outdrive ran great for the summer. I sent it for winterization and my mechanic is saying that the props are seized and this he can't change the oil in the outdrive.
I know this boat used to travel from Ontario to Florida and it had some contact with salt water.
Apparently whoever serviced the outdrive did not grease it properly and the props seized against the shaft...
My mechanic is offering to cut the props off :)( to be able to access to change the oil and reinstall new props.
My question is, does anybody know of a method to loose these seized props? I am not looking forward to spending $1200 in new props when mine are in perfect condition (other than the fact that they are seized), also, I would not continue to use the outdrive without being able to change service it properly... I might just kill it in the long run....
Thanks for the advise

Jose

P.S. props spin properly... we just cant get them off the outdrive...

jestor68

Commander
Re: Seized VP duo prop

I'm not a Volvo expert; but why do you need to remove the prop(s) to change the lower unit oil?

beaverliner

Seaman Apprentice

I was told that my drive has the drain behind the prop... unfortunately I am travelling overseas now to go to my marina and be able to verify that...hmmm.... now you're getting me to think... Thanks...

jestor68

Commander

:rolleyes:
I was told that my drive has the drain behind the prop... unfortunately I am travelling overseas now to go to my marina and be able to verify that...hmmm.... now you're getting me to think... Thanks...

After checking it out a little further, I find that that older 290 DR is different; you can change the oil without removing the props. The newer ones are required prop removal. Another one of Volvo's better ideas, I guess. :rolleyes:

Maclin

Admiral

The drive oil drain plug is behind the prop on your drive. The seldom mentioned and undocumented feature of this design insures that the props get taken off seasonally along with changing out drive oil. Downside is it does take about 3 minutes more effort when changing out or checking the drive oil, and some may view this as a roadblock and never change or check the drive oil condition. So, if drive maintenance is done per maintenance schedule the props will probably not have a chance to sieze. Conversely, if the props are truly siezed then the drive oil and perhaps condition of the drive internally may need investigation.

Maclin

Admiral

As to breaking the sieze condition, heat applied may help, but the hub will be ruined most likely anyway. In most cases I have read about here and there, cutting is the safest (but definitely not cheapest) regarding collateral drive damage.

The prop hub splines may not be useable anyway after siezing like that, hopefully the prop shafts they are siezed to will be able to be redressed once the props are off.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

The drive oil drain plug is behind the prop on your drive. The seldom mentioned and undocumented feature of this design insures that the props get taken off seasonally along with changing out drive oil. Downside is it does take about 3 minutes more effort when changing out or checking the drive oil, and some may view this as a roadblock and never change or check the drive oil condition. So, if drive maintenance is done per maintenance schedule the props will probably not have a chance to sieze. Conversely, if the props are truly siezed then the drive oil and perhaps condition of the drive internally may need investigation.

+1 IME this intentional VP design is a great PM best practice. Suggest that you get a VP prop wrench, they are cheap, or you can make one.

If the DuoProps are truly frozen to the shaft, then it absolutely suggests the drive oil has been sitting unchanged for perhaps a very long time. Further, it would be hard to know without examining the outdrive oil, whether or not water happened to intrude the outdrive via old/damaged seals, rubber washers, or bellows. If water is present in the internals, it can freeze and crack your sterndrive.

This is basic, but query your mechanic as to whether or not it is the front or rear prop that is seized? Have they removed the prop nut(s) and put a block of wood with a few impacts behind the screws to attempt and break loose the seized prop(s)? Some have had luck with solvent sprayed into the prop vent against the shafts and letting it sit overnight with the outdrive raised. If all these attempts have failed, then either heat or cutting the props are indeed the last resort, but as suggested above, worse case heat or cutting might require new, likely expensive parts including shaft, seals, props (if cut), and outdrive service. The DP's alone are roughly $1,300 for a new set, perhaps half that used.

Hope it works out for you, let us know.

beaverliner

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to Everyone! I am not sure what has been tried already since I am ttavelling and about 9000miles from my boat right now... My mechanic suggested to remove the drive and he will work over the winter on it, so I have plenty of time to discuss this with him. I will keep you posted on the solution
Thanks again to all!