How much does an OMC king cobra outdrive and 460 engine weigh ?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How much does an OMC king cobra outdrive and 460 engine weigh ?

How much does an OMC king cobra outdrive and 460 engine weigh ?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... I'd have to believe it'd be pushin' a 1/2 ton, total... probably atad less...

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

460 fully dressed weighs in at 725 pounds... the outdrive can be toted around by one guy....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why are you asking? Not planning on buying and installing that combination into anything are you? Is that a real King Cobra with the cone clutch? They aren't as light as the dog clutch King.

I have to pull mine. Leaking valve seals in port side head of 460

sam60

Captain

I have to pull mine. Leaking valve seals in port side head of 460

Why not just pull the exhaust manifolds, intake & heads? A lot less work if is all that is wrong.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

And you are only pulling the engine so knowing the weight of the entire package is not really necessary.

Not that you asked that question! Now that we know more it sounds like you wanted each weight seperately.

Engine weighs around 650 lbs including heads.

Why not just pull heads for the work you want to do?

There wasn't enough room in the bilge to work on it. I washed out 23 years of grease and gunk under the engine. I am going to repaint the bilge, then rewire and replumb , 23 years worth of peoples coble jobs with the wiring. Now that engine is out and grime cleaned out, I was shocked at all the wires that are cut off going nowhere. We have been having gauges and lights flickering since we bought it n aug 2009. When everything is gone through, I will know everything should be working for once

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Since you have the engine out, you might want to pull the risers and replace the gaskets. If they start leaking, you'll have raw water running back into open exhaust valves. Salt water engine?

sam60

Captain

Do you plan on checking out the bottom end of the engine while it's out?

I am going to go through everything on engine, outdrive, replace billows and water pick up hose, the sensors for the trim gauge

sam60

Captain

I am going to go through everything on engine, outdrive, replace billows and water pick up hose, the sensors for the trim gauge

Is the block headed to the machine shop?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

There's a couple of exhaust manifolds on ebay right now. If you don't have new manifolds, I suggest you buy them now and keep them in reserve. They may not be available when you do need them.....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

There's a couple of exhaust manifolds on ebay right now. If you don't have new manifolds, I suggest you buy them now and keep them in reserve. They may not be available when you do need them.....
Wow...only $1000 too!

Another one is $1599!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Wow...only $1000 too!

Another one is $1599!
Yeah. A real bargain huh?

One of the reasons I ripped mine out.

Doug Russell always has 1 for sale. I think they have bought them all up and sell them one at a time to keep the price high!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would be looking real hard at finding alternatives. I thought there was someone that made some sort of adapter plate that allowed you to use big block chevy manifolds. Of course the piping issue would be another problem as well as the big block chevy ones aren't cheap either.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I would be looking real hard at finding alternatives. I thought there was someone that made some sort of adapter plate that allowed you to use big block chevy manifolds. Of course the piping issue would be another problem as well as the big block chevy ones aren't cheap either.

Yeah. It is a BIG problem. I don't think it will go away. There's no reason for a manufacturer to make those manifolds any more. You can get manifolds from Cp Performance ($6200 + shipping) Hardin Marine ($3800-$6400 + shipping) Or Doug Russell ($2000-$3000 + shipping) A real bargain.

It was also a problem with couplers until recently when Teleflex/Sierra started making them. But they're over $400!!

But if you pop a coupler with a 460 at least you have a way to get back on the water.

I looked into the adapters when I had mine but couldn't find anyone with them. I even looked into aluminum heads that had BBC exhaust ports on them. Big BUCKS too!

The only way is to either sell the boat or do what I did. I'm glad I did.........what I did!