Pics/plans of a gearcase cone for a KG-7H Huricane?

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone have pics/plans of a gearcase cone tool for a KG-7H Huricane?

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Pics/plans of a gearcase cone for a KG-7H Huricane?

I saw that before but I am nervous becuase i already bought the flywheel nut tool (see pic) and it didn't fit. They were kind enough to refund my money.

Attachments

• IMG-20120508-00641.jpg
    IMG-20120508-00641.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Pics/plans of a gearcase cone for a KG-7H Huricane?

That's the tool for the KF5/Mark 5/Mark 6 flywheel nuts. You'd need one for the larger flywheel nuts.

The cone nut tool they have is a repro of the original. It is a rough casting and would need finishing and to have the socket end machined to accept a 1/2" drive socket wrench. You would also need to provide the two pins - I used 3-inch Allen bolts, with the threaded portion cut off leaving 1.5 inches of smooth shank and the head, and a shaft shim (the tool is for use with both A/B/C gear cases and D gear cases, so the propshaft needs a piece of tubing slid over it to prevent the tool from wobbling back and forth). All in all, it is a fairly sloppy tool. I have an original and it does the job - I was just never sure why Mercury didn't make them out of billet aluminum instead - would have been MUCH slicker tool...

I have seen them made from pipe fittings, with a series of step-downs to get from the cone diameter to a wrench, with holes drilled and tapped to allow threaded pins to be inserted. Just remember - the cones are REVERSE thread.