Rebuiling Mercruiser 3.7 LX (470)

carver2557

Recruit
I have a 470 that iam in the prcess of rebuilding. Not doing the pistons or anything to do with crank. i had a power loss on the port motor which I found out to be the camshaft lobes on the #1 and # 2 intake valves have been completly rounded off and the lifters on these two were not in good shape either. The engine had 155# of compression in each cylinder or better so I dont see any reason to mess with the pistons. I will be replacing the oil pump, camshaft (of course) all lifters and any gaskets to getr this back together. just looking for some pointers on this and if i should replace anything that i might need to since being into this so far? Another question i have is when i pulled the front Stator cover off one of the magnets fell out. I will be switching over to the altanator on this motor. does the stator need ot be put back in fort any reason? does the magnet need to put back in or can i remove the rest of the magnets on the cover? Thanks for any help in advance.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Rebuiling Mercruiser 3.7 LX (470)

Remove the rest of the magnets (balance of the pulley) and don't bother putting the stator back in, you're not using it's output, so no point in putting it back...

Chris.......

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not being critical here, but why not fit that puppy with a new set of rings and hone the cylinders while you have the top off? Also wouldn't hurt to put in a new set of cam and crank bearings while you're in there. Just my .02

Just my opinion here, but if you wiped out two lobes on the camshaft metal was in the oil being pumped thru the engine. What do you think of the possibility that metal got to those rod and main bearings? Your so far into it.... I would at least check 'em out.