1939 JOhnson MS39

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Recently got a free 1939 1.1 Hp Johnson. Appears to be all original.
It kinda- even runs. I can get it to start and run for a few seconds. Cleaned the carb, etc./ No change.

I must be missing something. Anyone have an idea on the fuel screw on the bottom o f the bowl. How many turns out. ?

I restored it somewhat with all new paint, not the original design colors though.

It will be for sale soon but I have no idea on a price. Maybe I'll just try best offer to start? Any ideas?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1939 JOhnson MS39

Ah a sausage tank.

Is the tank dented? Is the cowl present? Not worth a terrible amount, I bought a non runner for under 100 bucks.

They are a three port single motor. Your 1939 has a plunger pump, they changed to a rotor pump later on. It has bronze bushings, keep the oil mix correct. Plug gap is 025, point gap 020

Ensure the fuel line, tank and filters are clean. You are likely not getting proper flow. When you remove the line from the carb, how does the flow look?
Originally sold for $49.50

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Of course the tank is dented, but the cowl is very nice. Overall condition is pretty good. Only damage is the tank, but still bolts on nicely. Probably 8/10 condition. I picked up several motors from the 70s, 80s, and 90's that were not in as good of shape.
The electrical under the flywheel looks great and it's getting good spark. I think it's even the original spark plug and prop.

Cleaned up pretty nice, but not worth my time to get it looking like some I've seen on google images.

And instead of using the rope to start, I put my 18v drill with a socket adapter. :)

I'll fire up again and continue to trouble shoot. At one time, I had it running for a couple minutes. I do think it's a delivery issue too.

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got it running pretty good now. The orginal spark plug seems to be suspect. Has spark when out of the motor but I am thinking not strong enough once in the motor. Replaced and it actually runs pretty good. Ran it in a bucket for quite a period of time.

I'm toying on keeping it for a conversation piece and/or keep it to use on my little, small lake aluminum boat. Not sure I trust it that much though.

It's been painted now, but not to original colors. I don't care that much.

Thoughts on a starting price if I decide to sell?

D

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Theyre not worth that much, even when properly restored. May be best to hang onto it to enjoy.