1957 18hp Evinrude tiller assembly

fscogin

Recruit
Hello,
I could use some help with my 1957 Fastwin 18hp Evinrude. I had to disassembly the tiller handle that controls the throttle. Several parts were worn out/missing and I had to replace them. Unfortunately I now cannot get the thing back together. The spring at the end pushes the grip out and displaces the gear from the motor end of the handle. If anyone has a photo of how the internal parts of the handle are sequenced I would very much appreciate taking a look. The exploded parts diagram form which I ordered parts is not particularly helpful. Thanks and I would be happy to describe my situation further if anyone thinks they can help this befuddled handyman.

fscogin

Recruit

fscogin

Recruit
Re: 1957 18hp Evinrude tiller assembly

Ok I took a careful look at the diagrams and I still have the same problem as described in the original post. I know it is asking a lot but if someone could take a picture of the underside of the throttle/tiller it would help me understand if I have it assembled incorrectly or if I have the wrong parts. this is a great old engine and now starts and runs but is inoperable becuase there is no throttle control.
Thanks for any help. BTW, it is a 1957, not a 1958.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I do have a '57 18hp Evinrude in the basement, but its stand is buried behind about 50 other motors, lol. If you really need a pic, I could take one, but there is not much to underneath the tiller arm.

Maybe post a pic of how you are trying to assemble it and we can see what is going on.

freddyray21

Commander

pg 8 # 19 the washer holds the shaft in place where it needs to be. If putting the handle on the end is pushing the gear out of place most likely that washer is missing

fscogin

Recruit

I'll check that washer placement and if that doesn't fix the problem I'll take a picture of my tiller arm and post it here. I don't know why I didn't think of that before...thanks for the help.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

At the grip-end of the handle you have a washer, then a cross pin. The washer rides on the outer end of the "ledge" in the handle casting, and the pin rides on top of the washer to prevent the gear/rod assembly from being pushed inwards.

Also, keep in mind that inside the handle there is a spring and cup. The cup has alignment tabs top and bottom that align with the notches in the handle casting. This keeps the cup from spinning when you turn the handle. This gives the handle a bit of friction so it doesn't spin freely if you let go of it while underway...