06 Q6 S/F Boat Material ?

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class
Realizing this is restoration ?; however being "boat specific" I posted here.

Wanting to repair/restore the black (onyx) stripe on the side of the deck above the hull. It has several scratches and faded. My question...is this stripe gelcoat or is it painted on? In other words would I use onyx gelcoat or re-paint it?

Thanks for your feedback....

whitey224

Seaman
Re: 06 Q6 S/F Boat Material ?

I think it would be Gel coat. If the scratches are not real deep you could probably have good luck with a buffer and rubbing compound.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

It's gel coat. I just repaired a gouge in my Q7i hull using gel coat found on iboats http://www.iboats.com/Tahoe-2007-20...8493115--session_id.290297300--view_id.829536. Since it was my first time I did a repair like this, I was surprised at how well it looks. If they're minor scratches, you can buff them out like whitey says then waxing. If the scrathes are deeper, you may want to wet sand using 600 grit sandpaper then buff with rubbing compound.

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the reply and the link!.... Sorry to say, but beyond the easy fix of sand and buff. Boat got caught under the dock and has a few deep gouges in it and will have to fill them for a nice look.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for the reply and the link!.... Sorry to say, but beyond the easy fix of sand and buff. Boat got caught under the dock and has a few deep gouges in it and will have to fill them for a nice look.

Make sure to get some white gel coat too. The hull on my black 2008 Tahoe faded some so the repair is a llittle noticeable. I can imagine that your 2006 may be even more faded. Here's the thread I started on my gouge http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=491522&highlight=gouged+hull