Engine mount

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Noticed when winterizing that bolt on front starboard engine mount is loose. Tried tightening but it just goes around like the handle on the outhouse door. All others tight. I don't know if there is wood down there or just glass. Is there and expoxy or something I could pour down there before replacing screw of am I going to have to dig? Had no problem with engine this year, no issues with alignment this spring either after replacing bellows and bearing.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Engine mount

i'd call Bill or Scott up and see what they have to say.

i think i've ask this question before here on this forum. if i remember right, the answer is there is wood under the sole. that's what the lag bolts screws into. i know of no repair short of replacing the wood. which i doubt is much fun.
from memory, i've not seen anyone replace this wood here on this forum.

i would assume this motor mount wood rots just like other boats. from water intrusion. so suppose the foam is wet too.
keep us updated as to what ya gotta do. this would be one of the major don't wanna do things to happen to any boat i think.

hope someone has good news for you as to a repair. i'd really like to know what ya have to do too. i'm assuming that in the end, i'll need to know so i can repair mine too.

edit. did the lag bolt come out w/o screw threads. the few i've seen, when there's water intrusion to the point of ruining the wood, the lag bolt screw threads rust off. once the bolt is removed, ya can have a little better look at the wood from the top side... i know, pretty hard to see down that hole. maybe probe with a drill bit. see if ya pull mush out of the hole? if the screw threads are gone though. i'd think it's safe to assume rotted wood.

sure wish i had something nice to say. sorry...
oh, glad your engine ran super well this season. fwiw, mine did too... went out last weekend. high of 54*F. kinda chilly unless ya got a hardtop with aft curtain:D. did me a wot run. got my 4300 just like i wanted... still running good i think... :cool:

Last edited:

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had some daylight time today to look at problem. The bolt had snapped in half, no sign of rust nor weakness in bolt bed area. (Well, about half as a lot of bolt still in hole.) Will have to dig that out. Checked all bolts and did some exploring and floor seems dry and firm.

ziggy

Admiral

that sounds like good news lamphega. that being that the sole seems dry and firm. that is real good news imho..
the bad will be the extraction of the broke bolt. what's your plan for extraction?
i've extracted small screws from wood before. it's not easy w/o damaging the wood surrounding the broke off screw. maybe it'll be easier with a larger bolt. something ya can drill into and use and easyout on. guess that'd be what my first attempt would be. or maybe a reverse drill bit? with a sharp normal drill bit i've sometimes snagged a broke screw/bolt and managed to drive it out the other side (screw in metal with hollow back side). maybe a nice sharp reverse bit will work the same way and ya can drive out back out..
curious what your plan is? sounds like it's below flush.. making it more difficult i'd think... good luck...

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have removed more then my share of motor mount bolts that the threads had rusted completely off. A new bolt typically does the trick.
I would try using an extractor bit. Drill a hole down the middle of the bolt and then work it with the tool. Typically works for me.

ziggy

Admiral

motor mount bolts that the threads had rusted completely off. A new bolt typically does the trick.
glad to hear that. clarification, glad to hear it's common for the threads to rust off. mine were that way when i got my boat. not totally gone, but pretty close. i used some new ft. mount bolts too. agreed, this seems to have worked over the last 6 years. i will say i have them torqued down a little less than i'd like. but for fear of pulling out the female threads, i went gingerly. i also put a hash mark on the boat head. i can tell visually if they are starting to unscrew. i also check them once or twice a year to see if they've pulled up. so far so good.