97 Johnson 9.9- pull start slips, flywheel key?

Paulrd27

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone,
I've got a 97 Johnson 9.9 and the pull start on it won't work. I pull it and won't engadge. Someone told me it was a flywheel key? If so, where does the key go? I bought one but I can't seem to find the place where it goes in. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 97 Johnson 9.9- pull start slips, flywheel key?

Try putting the motor into neutral. There should be a neutral safety disengage on that motor.

emoney

Commander

The flywheel key is under the flywheel. You'll need to figure out a "flywheel puller", or see if a local shop will loan you one. However, before I went to all that effort, I'd confirm that was the problem. Are you 100% sure the pull rope is engaging in the rewind assembly? Pull the cover off and slowly turn the flywheel and see if you're getting compression out of the motor. It will be obvious because it will sound like it's trying to start very slowly. I'd remove the prop just to be on the safe side. If it does, then the key isn't your problem. If it doesn't, just spins freely, then start looking for that puller and read a bunch of threads IF you want to get real industrious, put it in a bucket of water, take the cover off and use another rope wrapped around the ridge in the top of the flywheel and try to start it that way. You can YouTube starting outboard with rope to get an idea of what that looks like.

Rick.

Captain

Great replies above but could you be more specific about your problem. When you pull the rope does the recoil turn but not raise up to engage the flywheel or is the recoil locked and you can't pull the rope and make it turn. The flywheel key would only come into play if the flywheel is turning but perhaps the engine is not? More info. please. Best of luck. Rick.