1987 Pursuit 2100

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently purchased a 1987 pursuit 2100 for a low price. The boat handles well and does not leak , motor is flawless and has great accessories Aluminum tower/leaning post etc. but I have noticed a soft spot on the deck in front of the consoul the deck will flex right in front of the seat and on the right side along side the consoul the deck will make a cracking sound when you walk In the right spot the rest of the boat is solid. When I reach into the bilge the bottom of the deck feels like its glassed in. Does anyone know how they made these pursuits in 1987 is the deck sandwiched with fiberglass with bolsa wood in between? Also what would be a good option to go about repairing the deck? I'm still using the boat it does not make me nervous I'm still very confident in the hull. I just know I will need to address the deck eventually

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1987 Pursuit 2100

most of the time, a soft deck is the signs that something is going on underneath the deck.
typically, boats will rot from the bottom up and from the back to the front.
a soft deck is a good sign that the stringers underneath going, or are already gone.
as it may seam that the deck and stringers are glassed in, they still may get exposed to moisture and begin to rot from the inside.

some good inspections and investigations are in order....drill small core samples into the stringers and transom, especially near the bottom edges...making sure to not drill all the way through....look at the wood chips, from drilling, for moisture, color etc....

and as always...post plenty of pictures