What do you think about SE116 Outdrive, Is it worthy to buy?

Marina Bay

Cadet
Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy SE116 Alpha One Gen 2 outdrive, can anybody give me any recommendations to buy or not? I read some people liked their outdrives and others hates them, can anyone tells me about their quality and reliability in transmission?

I'm going to fix it with my 5.7L mercruiser and mercruiser transom.

The Ratio required to my engine is 1.47 as informed by the boat manufacture.

Thank you

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: What do you think about SE116 Outdrive, Is it worthy to buy?

there are several threads here endorsing the drives with many personal accounts of success and longevity with a bit much gear whine during break in that generally doesn't progress into anything serious, and paint peeling issues on some of the drives

overall the rating is "very good"

Capt Ken

Commander

You can't rebuild a drive for what one of those costs. I've installed several dozen on customer's boats and have not had a problem with any. Really haven't seen a problem with the paint on the later built ones.

Bondo

Staff member

You can't rebuild a drive for what one of those costs. I've installed several dozen on customer's boats and have not had a problem with any. Really haven't seen a problem with the paint on the later built ones.

Ayuh,.... Gotta Agree with that,... 1 set of Merc. gears, 'n/ or a set of bearin's pays for a brand new Sei...

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i was in need of an entire drive a few weeks back and you can't beat the SEI drives for the money. I couldn't afford it at the time and I bought a used, re-done drive on ebay for $750.

it worked out okay for me but with no warranty i knew what i was getting into. for the peace of mind of the warranty and customer service, the SEI drive is the way to go.

the drive i bought had been put together for a customer with a Donzi and was sitting on the shelf for 3 years. i liked what i saw and bought it. i had to put an impeller in it because the new one that was installed 3 years back was no longer any good. (as i expected)