5.7 mercruiser loss of power

dnakirk

Recruit
1988 sea ray sorrento with 5.7 mercrusier and alpha one outdrive. Boat was running fine then sat for a week. had difficulty starting which is now corrected. runs smooth out of gear and accelerated properly. timing correct tuned up with new cap rotor wires. When placed in gear will not get above 2200 rpm and no power. if continue to run will eventully plane out slowly yet top speed 28 mph and no real power. Looking into carb have good continuous flow of gas. Seems to be fuel or ignition problem but i would expect it would also be a problem out of gear. no noise from outdrive or from enigne. ie valve ping or knocks. Does anyone have any ideas and could this be ignition module. One other note fuel gauge stopped working at same time. oil pressure stable. temp stable. oil not leaking and clean. this was a sudden change working fine then not.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 5.7 mercruiser loss of power

1988 sea ray sorrento with 5.7 mercrusier and alpha one outdrive. Boat was running fine then sat for a week. had difficulty starting which is now corrected. runs smooth out of gear and accelerated properly. timing correct tuned up with new cap rotor wires. When placed in gear will not get above 2200 rpm and no power. if continue to run will eventully plane out slowly yet top speed 28 mph and no real power. Looking into carb have good continuous flow of gas. Seems to be fuel or ignition problem but i would expect it would also be a problem out of gear. no noise from outdrive or from enigne. ie valve ping or knocks. Does anyone have any ideas and could this be ignition module. One other note fuel gauge stopped working at same time. oil pressure stable. temp stable. oil not leaking and clean. this was a sudden change working fine then not.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... I see no mention of checkin' the contents of the fuel filter for Water, or other crud....

How much growth on the hull bottom,..??

I'm sure the answer for yer dilemma can be found in Here,...

Which is found in the Adults Only section, at the top of this forum...

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 5.7 mercruiser loss of power

Was the tune up done just before the problem occurred? If so you may want to retrace your steps.

1+ for Bondo's on ruling out fuel with an alternate fuel source & new filters if needed.

Is it a quadrajet Carb? If so do the back barrels open ?

Could be other things as well -- its hard to say over the PC.