need help identifying a boat i just traded for

homey58701

Cadet
i just traded a couple unfinished rc trucks for this boat, motor, and trailer..the motor is a 1958 mercury mark 58 thunderbolt four...the boat i was told is a 1954 sears..its a fiberglass v hull and the serial number is supposedly 1140260...can anyone tell me the year on this boat? it is a 14' boat..how do you decifer the serial number?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: need help identifying a boat i just traded for

Depending on where you're located, having a title is important. In WV, anything w/ an electric or gas motor requires a title & registration. If you got a title & reg, they don't list a year?

Start by posting some pix from the bow, the stern, the side & showing some of the interior layout. It's probably not made by Sears, but made for Sears, by 1 of several manufacturers. It's a 14' semi vee fishing boat? W a couple or 3 bench seats?

Welcome to iboats

homey58701

Cadet

i got registration with the boat..but it doesnt list a year on it..it was left blank..there is a hull serial number but im not sure if it is correct...the hull serial number on the registration is 1140260...ill take pictures today and post them so maybe someone can identify it..if there are serial numbers on the boat somewhere that might help also..there are no bench seats..it has 4 chairs..

homey58701

Cadet

i found the serial number on the transom on a plate..it cant be a 1954 but heres the serial number..maybe you can decifer it..AT44R0088..i couldnt read the model number as the plate was scribed and the model number was damaged...but thats the best i have...id post pictures but it says its an invalid file..i have pictures of the boat and interior of the boat as well

homey58701

Cadet

it is a v hull with two bench seats..or used to be two bench seats...serial number is AT44R0088...that was found on the plate on the transom..trying to find the year of the boat so i can restore it..also im looking for a windshield frame for this boat...

jbcurt00

Staff member

In the absence of pix, which again are your best bet for getting help, length, max beam (width), transom depth, & transom beam will help narrow the list once you get some firm references that 'match' a look & style of makers.

You will likely need to MAKE your own windshield & frame

Willyclay

Captain

..it cant be a 1954 but heres the serial number..maybe you can decifer it..AT44R0088.l

If the third character was an "alpha" character, I would say it is a HIN instead of serial number. Any chance that character is not the number "4"? The link below will get you to the USCG-maintained Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) database. The first three characters of the HIN are designated as the MIC. Lots of possibilities amongst the "AT?" list when you scroll through it. Good luck!

http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic1.aspx

homey58701

Cadet

it is a 4..the plate has a serial number and model number on it and was mounted on the transom on the right hand side...this is the boat that i got for next to nothing with the motor on the back..wish i could attach picture of the vin plate..its saying the file is too large so maybe ill have to take another one.. boat.jpgback.jpgfront.jpgmotor.jpg

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

that actually looks pretty cool...i like the ridges in the cap of the bow...
a short, wrap around windshield would set that off nicely...

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thats what i was leaning towards....1961 model maybe

homey58701

Cadet

im gonna make my own windshield for it as close to era correct as possible..but i have yet to find out the year..i was told it was a 1954 boat..but it has been an impossible task to find out..yes the lines of the boat on the bow are beautiful and very classy..when the motor is painted, itll really stand out..