1992 Johnson 175 Fast Strike

hitthbricks

Recruit
I have 1992 Johnson 175 fast strike. It?s mounted on a 1987 Ranger 360 V? I replaced the long block because it was blown.. When I was ready to start the engine the warning buzzer came on and stays on . The engine would not start.. After reading all the posts on this issue I went in and pretty much disconnected every ?Tan? wire I could find to no avail.. On the Johnson control in the boat is where the alarm sound is there is a button that deactivates the alarm.. You push this little button (that is hiding in a horseshoe shroud) and the alarm goes off?ALSO>>>IF I HOLD THIS BUTTON IN THE HORN GOES OFF AND THE MOTOR WILL START !!! Is this strange or a common occurrence?? What am I missing here..Where should I be looking and, NO, I?m not starting it till I get some more info?..

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 Johnson 175 Fast Strike

Could you post a pic of the "little button" and the control box you're talking about ??

hitthbricks

Recruit

The control I speak of is the forward/ reverse shifter unit...the "Little Button" is just around on the front side where the ignition key is...I will take a pic today and hopefully I will figure out how to post it.....Thanks...Gary

hitthbricks

Recruit

I went to Ebay to find a picture of my controls ..found this pic and am feeling kinda dumb...the kill switch is what I was refering to "EXCEPT" mine has the ears broke off so it was just a button hanging out there..here it is with red lanyard attached to it..HmmmmmmJohnson control.jpg

hitthbricks

Recruit

I must apologize to the forum...I bought this boat in non-running condition and wasn't familier with the controls...I went to my local OMC dealer this morning and bought a kill switch key/lanyard and then dropped the boat in the water...It cranked right up and seems to run great...Iguess all is well that ends well...I'm just feeling a little red faced....

boobie

Supreme Mariner

No problem. You're not the first one that ever made that mistake.