beaching a boat upon an OCEAN beach

is it legal, safe and or practical to beach a boat upon a public ocean beach?

will a beach anchor work well in this case?

If I were to anchor close to shore, how do I get onto the OCEAN beach DRY?

Should I carry a light folding inflatable 2-man paddle raft and use a compressed-gas canister to blow it up upon mooring just off the beach? I only plan on landing on an ocean beach during the hot summer months when there is no small-craft advisory in effect. Perhaps, 3-5 foot waves at most. I also need to get my dogs ashore, but they could perhaps swim in their life vests.

:confused:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: beaching a boat upon an OCEAN beach

is it legal, safe and or practical to beach a boat upon a public ocean beach?

will a beach anchor work well in this case?

:confused:

Ayuh,.... Donno 'bout the legality of it, but if the tide is goin' Out,...

Ya won't need an anchor at all...

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Used to do it alot with a 96 XP seadoo jetski. We would ride it in the surf, like a motorcycle on a motocross track.

That is one of the smallest jetskis made. Just the motion of the waves on it would make it rock and sink into the sand, and it was VERY difficult to get it free.

I wouldn't attempt it with a boat. Anchor it off outside the breaking waves, and surf or swim in. And this only on a day with small swell.

nlain

Commander

You never beach a boat on the ocean side, you always anchor off shore with the bow out and plenty of scope on the bow anchor, you also need a stern anchor to keep the stern in place. Check the weather and make sure the waves will not be too big, you do not want them to break over the bow and swamp the boat.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

As Nlain said, bow out stern in.
Bow out will rise with the wave but the stern out may be overcome with a large enough wave.

tpenfield

Staff member

beaching a boat is mostly a lake sort of thing. Very few ocean situations are conducive for beaching a boat. So, you rarely see it.

We ocean guys usually anchor close to shore, after checking our tide charts.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Perhaps, 3-5 foot waves at most.

In 3-5' waves you should moor out past the breakers which can be quite a distance from the beach in some cases.

The best way to do something like this is to watch and talk to other people that do it in your area.

In all of my years of living at or near the beach, I can't say I recall anyone doing this out in the ocean... in the calmer bays yes.

The beach people get to the beach by land and the boat people stay out in their boats.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

If there were 3-5's blowing onshore, the only thing my boat will be anchored to is the trailer. You're kidding, right?

I live in California, remember. I might just have to secure a berth and walk to the beach.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Assuming you mean "open to the ocean" and not a seaside beach tucked up in a cove, behind a reef or other protected area:

I have seen a few days when the ocean surf at the beach was flat enough to bring a boat in, and you always anchor bow out no matter how calm. But with even small surf that is manageable as far as the boat goes, it is highly dangerous to go ashore. The stern moves all around, slinging the motor and props at you; easy to get caught under or pushed around. From shoore, or when approaching from sea, it may look flat enough but it seldom is.

Had some friends try loading out from a camping trip on an island to a boat in the surf--it was a bad plan, dangerous, difficult (even though it looked flat) and truly a "the lord looks out for fools and drunkards" event.

I know this not only from a lot of time on the ocean beaches but also the bay and island beaches, where the chop at the shore can be just like small surf at the ocean. And it changes fast--just 5 mph wind can be a deal breaker. A tide change has an effect onthe wave height, too (as well as obviously depth).
I have also been involved with pulling nets on the ocean beach, using motorboats, usually rigged with what is basically a tunnel drive. Even in big surf. The big difference (beside the life-long experience of the boaters) is that they are not trying to climb in and out of the boats in the surf.

Bottom line: it's not feasible.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Very bad ideal on the west coast lots of tidal surge's...there should be marina's full of people and boat's...get a uniform opinion i am sure it will be eye opening. A flat ocean up here is 3-4 foot roller's

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

How much ocean experience in small boats do you have? or any boating experience for that matter.
After reading this thread, http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=581791 I'm not sure you have any.

These theads didn't help either.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=581595
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=581481

I think jon is in dire need of a power squadron course, or at the very least a safe boating course.

Bondo

Staff member

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Ayuh,.... I'm startin' to think SBL has moved from the east coast, to the west coast...

I was thinking the same thing. Great minds think alike. Whether it's him or not, I'm glad he's on the left coast and not mine!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Does this apply???

There is bold boaters, there is old boaters, but there are no old bold boaters.