My gifted boat project

Scooter38401

Cadet
Hi all; I am a newbie to this forum and a newbie to motorboating. Any boats I owned in the past were all sailboats, so when I was gifted with this 1961 Arkansas Traveller with a 1961 40hp Johnson, I began feeling a bit out of my element. The last time this boat was in the water was when my future wife and I were on it in 1981. This boat has always been stored indoors and covered at my father-in-law's pole barn, and has been untouched for the last 31 years. This summer we brought the boat down from upper Michigan to its new home here in Tennessee. After being at the Boat Doctor's for a thorough motor reconditioning for the last 8 weeks, it is now back in our garage. I have begun removing the old registration and hull numbers and cleaning the hull prior to installing the new registration. There is really not much "restoration" needed on this boat per se, but I am determined to keep this fine specimen as original as possible.

I will have questions of this brain trust from time to time and I look forward to hearing your advice. In the meantime, enjoy the photos!

Scott

Attachments

• DSCN0621.jpg
    DSCN0621.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0623.jpg
    DSCN0623.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0656.jpg
    DSCN0656.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0657.jpg
    DSCN0657.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0658.jpg
    DSCN0658.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0

Scooter38401

Cadet
Re: My gifted boat project

Here are some more pics:

Attachments

• DSCN0659.jpg
    DSCN0659.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0660.jpg
    DSCN0660.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0662.jpg
    DSCN0662.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0663.jpg
    DSCN0663.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0664.jpg
    DSCN0664.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 0

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Wow what a nice looking boat ! I love the way the lapstrake runs back into the sloped down rear gunnel cap .. It gives it a real sleek look !
Congrats on getting her cleaned up and water ready again !!

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Scoot She's a beauty. Very Clean. What do you want to do with her?

Scooter38401

Cadet

Thanks for all the nice comments! I intend on just running it from time to time on one of the nearby reserviors down here in Middle Tennessee. My wife and I are both former Flintoids/Flintstones; we moved to Tennessee about 24 yrs ago with GM. This was her Dad's boat. I think he bought the boat in Flint. They have a place outside of Traverse City and this is where the boat was used and stored. It had not seen the light of day in 31 yrs. I am relieved that the motor is back to tip top shape after getting a new impeller, coils, points, carb rebuilds, lower unit gaskets, and water pump housing. Somehow at some point in time water must have been trapped in the water pump and cracked the housing. My friend who does alot of boating down here said to expect to get stopped alot while on the water by folks who have never seen anything this clean and original and OLD. So I anticipate some mid throttle cruising and a bunch of chatting. As a child and young adult my wife water ski'd behind this boat, but with it being only a 40hp and the fact we are now adult sized people and in our 50's, I don't think skiing is on the agenda. I have added another pic showing some antique waveboarding behind an Arkansas Traveller, along with some shots of the boat in the pole barn before we brought it out to daylight. If you look closely you can see that we have it up on floor jacks so we could inspect the trailer bearings. Also not the old old old life jackets and skis.

Attachments

• water skiing arkansas traveler.jpg
    water skiing arkansas traveler.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
  • boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 0
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 0

Triton II

Commander

Wow, life begins again at 51 for this little Traveller. What a beautifully looked after boat, your father in law has done a great job dry storing her.

TII

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Scooter, My Blue Flamingo is of the same vintage but was Not in as good of shape as your's. You can expect about 25mph with the 40hp motor with two adults on board. 2 1/2 hours on a tank of gas. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.;)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Great looking! Congrats on getting to keep the Traveler in the family & still in use.

Looking forward to seeing her back in the water & underway now that the motor's been given a good once over.

Welcome to iboats

Scooter38401

Cadet

Thanks all! I am sure I will have lots of questions for you experienced boaters! I said something about taking the boat out on the 13th and bringing along my experienced boater friend. She gave me this look and asked why. I told her I want someone experienced going out on the first run since he knows boats and he knows the reservior. I think it is the prudent thing to do. The last thing I need to do is be out there not having a clue as to what I am doing! A boating safety course is in my future as soon as I can find where they are taught around here. I appreciate the info there Woodonglass about fuel consumption and speed. I only have the original metal 6 gal tank; I am seriously thinking about switching over to the new plastic tanks since they have a lower profile. Boat has spots in front of transom for two tanks.
DSCN0624.jpg

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Scott:

Beau - tee - ful Boat!!! Thanks for sharing.. You just made a lot of us jealous.. I hope you enjoy this treasure... and, yes, you will be spend equal parts boating and talking...

kfa4303

Banned

Great to have another AT owner in the forums! She's a beaut and that big ol' 40 hp should push her along nicely (low-mid 30 mph). I have a '59-'60 DUT-14 aluminum, semi-v hull myself. It started off life as a runabout very similar to yours, but I've since converted it to a tiller skiff of sorts (see avatar and signature pics). Thanks for sharing your awesome AT.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nothing wrong with the old style tanks. I have two of em. I refurbished em so I could keep as much original as possible.

Scooter38401

Cadet

I would like to keep things as orignal as possible (including the gas tanks) but I only have one metal tank and fear I will have a very hard time finding another. Everything seems to be plastic anymore. If I am only going to get 2.5 hrs on a tank then I think it may be best to have 2 tanks.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hey how about a video of the splash ! We all love splash vids !:p

jbcurt00

Staff member

Where are ya located, I picked up 2 metal tanks fairly cheap on evil-bay, even after shipping. And watch CL...

There are kits available to resto the interior of an old tank, and parts, paint & decals to resto the exterior. Decals may be the most costly portion & I may skip them on the 1st go around.....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not sure about your location but here in Oklahoma those old tanks are on Craigslist all the time for $25-$50 bucks. I put some boiling hot water in mine with some dish soap and nuts and bolts and shook em like crazy and let em soak for several hours. Did that a couple of times and they cleaned up perfectly. Had em powder coated and they look like new. They even make reproduction decals if you want to go that far to make em look original.

Scooter38401

Cadet

I am about 30 minutes south of Nashville, Tennessee. Will take a look on Craigs List.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Read thru anything Andgott's done on iboats, his latest: Lake & Sea

He's down that way somewhere near Hixson, TN... He could be an invaluable resource.

Scooter38401

Cadet

Thanks for the link JBCurt; will take a look at it. I spent some time this afternoon washing the hull and polishing it out with a wheel and some 3M polishing compound and wax. Also scrubbed 31 yrs of dust and grime off the trailer, and began cleaning the motor. I was wondering if anyone can tell me why the bedrails on the trailer are set to extend 19 inches beyond the transom?
Dash1.jpgMorse Shifter.jpgtrailer1.jpgtrailer2.jpgtrailer3.jpg

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I've never owned a tilt trailer, but it looks like you've got one and I bet those extensions have something to do with that feature. .... Or, your trailer is too long :facepalm: