Stereo for my Glastron

rockyford

Cadet
I am looking into updating my stereo in my gxl 235. It has 4 speakers and I was considering adding 2 more, replacing the factory speakers and possibly adding a sub. How hard is it to add speakers in the side of the boat?

Any suggestions, should I do it myself or pay someone?

What has everyone else done?

AviatorJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Stereo for my Glastron

It isn't hard at all to add stereo equipment to a boat. If you know the hardware you want, and where and how you will mount it, why wouldn't you do it yourself? It also helps to have the tools and hole cutters you need. And be sure you know how to clean up the upholstery when you cut into it.

Have you addressed the corrosion and short life that auto stereos have to contend with when installed in a boat? Also some don't handle the pounding well without skipping.

--Jim

rockyford

Cadet

What are the best tools to use to cut the holes? I was going to use marine speakers and possible sub if I add it as well...

AviatorJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Depending on the size of hole, a hole saw is best, but you can chain drill with a 1/8 bit, then smooth it with a rotary file. That takes a steady hand and some skill, as the fiberglass is very soft compared to metal. I have also done some with a sabre saw.

--Jim

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Depending upon the stereo make, model and size you might have to add an amp. Check out what the stereo can handle for speakers first, then go from there. Figure out where you want the speakers to go and cut from there. Some people use a trace to decide where the speakers go and then use hole cutter to make a cut. After that use a jig saw and cut from there. Be sure to tape around the area you are cutting so the gel coat does not chip away. Make the hole a little small so the speakers fit tight.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

....Make the hole a little small so the speakers fit tight...

:confused: Why not just make the hole the correct size to begin with? That way they will fit well and not just tight. I think any speaker worth buying has a paper or cardboard template either as part of the box/packaging or in the paperwork from the manufacturer.

How do you know if you need to add thicker wires?

By "thicker" do you mean larger gauge speaker wires? Or larger gauge power wires?
Those two questions have different ways of arriving at the answers.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

16 to 18 gauge speaker wire is the average. It depends on the size of the speaker. If you running an amp or big speakers you will have to go to a bigger size (14 gauge, 12 gauge, etc). Remember speaker wire size increases with smaller numbers for instance a 10 gauge is larger than a 12 gauge...like shot gun sizes.