What type of boat should I buy

mdnewboater1

Cadet
I'm in the market for a used boat. I've found that I really like the '95 Grady White Adventure 208 which is in my price range - 15-17k. But I'm hesitant to purchase such an old boat with me being a novice. I've been told that I should be looking at a Center Console that would bring me into the 2000 model years? My goal is fishing and family fun. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

emoney

Commander
Re: What type of boat should I buy

Where are you located and where do you plan to use the boat mainly? That factors in as much as size, etc. Center Consoles are great for fishing, but usually the family isn't "as happy" as other styles. As for the Grady White, they make great boats and I wouldn't worry about buying a 1995 model, assuming the previous owner(s) has taken care of it. When it comes to something that age, you need to focus heavily on the power plant, as well as looking for rot, etc.

I always recommend to first time buyers to start off by either "renting" or going out with as many buddies that own different type boats as you can. Renting a boat for the day may seem a little on the expensive side, but it could end up saving you thousands of dollars if you were to buy something that didn't work for you and your family. That way you get to spend some serious time on a specific style to make sure that's what you need.

Boat show season is coming up and that's another great way to get a feel for how different types fit you. At almost every show you'll find one of every type boat offered and by climbing aboard with your family you can get to now which one is best. In that 15-17k price range, I'd also recommend you get someone to inspect the boat before you buy it. Lots of them can look good on the outside, but be hidden money pits.

mdnewboater1

Cadet

Where are you located and where do you plan to use the boat mainly? That factors in as much as size, etc. Center Consoles are great for fishing, but usually the family isn't "as happy" as other styles. As for the Grady White, they make great boats and I wouldn't worry about buying a 1995 model, assuming the previous owner(s) has taken care of it. When it comes to something that age, you need to focus heavily on the power plant, as well as looking for rot, etc.

I always recommend to first time buyers to start off by either "renting" or going out with as many buddies that own different type boats as you can. Renting a boat for the day may seem a little on the expensive side, but it could end up saving you thousands of dollars if you were to buy something that didn't work for you and your family. That way you get to spend some serious time on a specific style to make sure that's what you need.

Boat show season is coming up and that's another great way to get a feel for how different types fit you. At almost every show you'll find one of every type boat offered and by climbing aboard with your family you can get to now which one is best. In that 15-17k price range, I'd also recommend you get someone to inspect the boat before you buy it. Lots of them can look good on the outside, but be hidden money pits.[/QUO

I'm located in Maryland and plan on fishing in the Chesapeake bay, Annapolis and middle river area. I have tried to find local places to rent boats which would be a cost effective way to ease into boating, but I have yet to find a place that rents anything more than large john boats. I have learned that I should have a sea trial, have the boat inspected prior to a purchase which has lead to be local dealers as opposed to classified private ads. This is one of the boats I'm considering http://mmboats.com/used-boats/73/1994-208-grady-white-adventure-/ . I look forward to having fun boating and maintaining it at the same time. I just don't want to get in over my head. What could I expect to pay for a survey?

Rebait

Cadet

The boat you are looking at is not too big or small. It is a nice size. Go with your gut feeling. Just my 2 cents.

tpenfield

Staff member

Grady-White is one of the better brands of boats and a good choice for ocean and bay boating.

It all depends on the condition of the particular boat that you are considering.

You would benefit from having a pre-purchase survey.