Starter help

Scubasteve1111

Recruit
1995 70hp Evinrude

Need help addressing a starting issue. Here's the scoop: New battery just charged. Starter spins, gear rises to flywheel (spinning), flywheel does not turn, gear falls and stops spinning but the shaft on the starter continues to spin. I'm stumped... Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas?

I was planning on going fishing in the morning :/ I'm hoping this is something that I can troubleshoot and fix tonight.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Starter help

try putting a jumper cable direct from the battery +ve to the +ve on the starter, it will spark a bit at first touch but hold it on there tight. If that works the starter properly you have a problem either in the solenoid or the starter cables from the batteries(corrosion /fraying). If it doesnt fix it either its the starter or your new battery or the jumper cables.
I have seen it before on mine, for a few months.It was my positive starter cable from the battery, it had corroded even though it was tinned for salt water use

Scubasteve1111

Recruit

Well I didn't think that the problem was anywhere between the battery and the starter but just to check I put a meter on the starter and had my friend turn the key. 12 volts at the starter. That rules battery, soleniod, and all wiring in between.

I'm not sure that you understand exactly whats going on... I'm not having any issues getting ample voltage to the starter. I think the problem is in the starter. The starter shaft is spinning. It's spinning very fast... but the pinion gear (bendix gear or whatever you preffer) is not.

Is this gear driven by friction between the shaft and the gear itself? Or is there a key somewhere between shaft and the gear that makes it turn with the shaft? Sorry, I'm not sure exactly sure how these things work... If it is friction driven then maybe excessive lubrication could cause this to happen? I had the cover off of the motor in the rain for a short time today and the gear may have gotten wet. If I had an air compressor handy I would have already tested this theory. What do you think?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

You write that the bendix" rises to flywheel (spinning), flywheel does not turn,".So it actually engages into flywheel but flywheel dosent turn?
The bendix shouldnt really turn much until it engages into the flywheel once there it cant go any higher, it reaches the end of its allowed travel so should then start turning the flywheel. Lubrication wouldnt cause a problem unless it was something thick like grease that meant the bendix couldnt move independently of the spinning shaft so it would never rise.
Its the shaft spinning faster than the bendix which is experiencing friction by air etc that makes it move up the spiral on the starter shaft instead of keeping pace with its current spot on the shaft spiral. As the bendix lags behind it gets lifted further up the spiral on the shaft, so you want the shaft and bendix to be as friction free as possible so they have as different relative speed as possible so the bendix will then rise quicker.
If the bendix is making it up to the end of its travel into the flywheel teeth and the starter shaft is still spinning then it must be something thats broken in the bendix or the starter shaft. Ive never had either happen.
Most commonly with starter problems the bendix gets up there, the starter shaft slows/stops and then the bendix falls as the starter is not able to turn and keep it engaged but i think you a saying its the other presentation?

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

you more than likely have this proplem where the spiral gear in the bendix gear comes loos , here is a photo of one that has come loos it is glued on in factory or moulded to the rubber in the gear & some times it does come loos but not often the bendix gear will jump up the starter will turn but the gear will not , under the gear the metal part will turn with the stater sharft

Attachments

• Photo0647.jpg
    Photo0647.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo0652.jpg
    Photo0652.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Durban. The Bendix gear has lost firm connection with the starter shaft.