Need help identifying Mercury motor

bkeys

Recruit
I recently purchased a Mercury 40 Thunderbolt 4hp outboard. The serial number is 2200771. There is no year numbers under the serial number and all of the sites I've found do not include that serial number range. Any idea what year the motor is??

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Need help identifying Mercury motor

Is it a 1 cylinder or 2? Post a pic.

Laddies

Banned

That serial number is for a 1967 3.9 HP is it possible that someone just put a 40 bonnet on it? A 4HP thunderbolt has a coil right above the sparkplug and a 39 the coil is under the flywheel.

bkeys

Recruit

It is a one cylinder. I'll try and get a picture posted. I was wondering if somebody changed the cowl...but was also wondering if somebody changed the serial number tag. Thanks for giving me some more to go by. I got it for $60.00 from a guy and don't even know if it runs. I figure first step is getting a manual and schematics.

Laddies

Banned

Someone has installed a later model 4HP powerhead on a 3.9 HP torque tube and lower unit I believe, check on the area above the exhaust plate of where the crankcases bolt together for a different serial number. If that don't work we can come close with the carb model and look up under the flywheel at the type of stator the engine has.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi think someone has changed out the swivel bracket as the motor appears to match the cowling. Look for a 7 digit number stamped in the cylinder block. It won't be a cast number - it WILL be stamped, much like the number on the tag.

bkeys

Recruit

I found 3656012 stamped on the side of the cylinder case

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

That's your "real" serial number. Your motor is a 1973, which gibes with the external coil and the cowling decals...

bkeys

Recruit

Thank you for the help. I'll see what I can do to get a manual for it now. Also...since I have no idea what I really have here....$60.00 shot in the dark and all....is there a compatibility issue with the '67 lower unit and the '73 powerhead or will they play together just fine?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Mercury played some games with their mids and lowers during that period. Earlier ones had a full-length shift rod that extended up into the belly pan, while others had a splined coupling below the swivel bracket. Earlier mids also had a shorter "snout" at the rear of the leg where it meets up with the gearcase, with the mating gearcase also have a shorter top surface to match. I believe, but am not 100% certain, the '67 will have the short, and the '73 will have the long. You can tell by looking as the "short" will have the AV plate extending about an inch beyond the rear of top surface the gearcase housing, while the "long" will have the AV plate about flush with the rear of the top surface of the housing. These pics should illustrate what I mean.

Attachments

• LongSnout.jpg
    LongSnout.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ShortSnout.jpg
    ShortSnout.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0