Mercruiser 3.0 Head and Manifold Help

hou1nxb

Recruit
2012-10-06_10-38-31_571.jpg2012-10-06_10-38-58_692.jpg2012-10-06_11-02-14_762.jpgHey Boaters,

Just took off my exhaust manifold to replace gasket. Riser had a leak and wanted to just go ahead and replace both. Also had a funny squealing suction noise was coming from front of manifold best I can tell. After removing manifold, the manifold looks to be in great shape. I do see rust water stains around the head gasket. See Pics. I did have a minor overheating problem that went away after replacing my impeller which DID NOT make sense because the impeller looked and felt brand new. There is some kind of pressurized leak indicated by the sound. video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxJi3w2b4G0. I dont want to ask leading questions, but could this be a head gaskey issue. There is rust stains around the head bolts. I just have zero experience with boats and wanted some input. Thanks for any thoughts.

Nick

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 Head and Manifold Help

Block looks cracked. The noise is your alternator bearings or water pump going out. Run without belts for a minute or so.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Does appear the head gasket might have an issue,inexpensive to check and repair.

hou1nxb

Recruit

Block looks cracked. The noise is your alternator bearings or water pump going out. Run without belts for a minute or so.

Thanks, but I am not sure how you can see a cracked block. I can't see a crack and I am right next to it. I understand hairline cracks can occurr, but that is a separate issue. I would like to clarify on the "minor overheating" I first quoted. The details are it was running 10-20 degrees hotter than normal for only a few mins while hooked up to hose in my driveway. Hardly a true overheating. I am leaning towards head gasket, the question is why. Gasket issues are usually caused by other issues. The boat/engine is 9.5 years old. I have had it since new, and it has been used a few times each season. Its kept indoors in houston, tx, no freezing issues. Used in salt water 3-4 times total, and flushed immediately. I am just wondering if the block is just toast on the inside due to corrosion. Having said that, one can see from the pics, the exhaust manifold and head show very little signs of corrosion in the water jacket area, so why would the block be so much more corroded. Who knows. Just not enough experience to know anything. Thanks for any more thoughts.

Nick

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

Having never re-built an inline 4 but many inline sixes and having looked carefully at your pics, in my opinion you may have a head gasket problem due to lots of corrosion internally. See the water pump outlet in pic #1.

I listened to your YouTube video carefully but sadly I don't have the expertise to diagnose that sound. I bet Bondo or Don will come up with the answer though!

Good luck:

kilowatts

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... That is an odd spot for rust,.... ain't comin' from above, runnin' down is it,..??

I don't boat in Saltwater, so, I'll go with BD's thoughts on it... there Is water behind it..

I agree, the sound, sounds like a bearin', or belt, probably bearin'...

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

After replacing the head gasket make sure you use thread sealer on the head bolts some of the hole on the 3.0's aren't blnd and go through to the water jacket also after torquen em down bring the engine up to operating temp and let it cool back down to amiant and re-torque the head bolts. Also I would go with the a bad bearing makin the odd noise you speak of. Good luck and post back with your results.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, but I am not sure how you can see a cracked block. I can't see a crack and I am right next to it.

here.jpg
Why is that spot rusty?

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hope the op didn't go into shock after seeing the crack right in from of his face.

AviatorJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm going to say you have a bad head gasket. Can't see what kind it is, but the older automotive ones will rust, then leak. Could also leak into the cylinder when you shut down and the engine cools, but mostly will be pushed out when you are running. It also is showing rust the full length of the engine, so I'd be surprised if it was a crack rather than an overall failure of the gasket.

Replace it with a good Felpro Marine gasket, and seal the bolts when they go back in. Also take a look at the freeze plugs on the head (5/8" diameter). Easy to check now, hard to check later.

There are more pieces to the waterpump than the impeller. Should also be a plastic tube, copper tube, rubber grommet at the top, and a gasket below the lower pump housing. I've had all of those fail at one time or another.

--Jim

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

888 that small circled area is a ledge for registaring for machining the oil pan mating surface my 3.0 LX has the same ledge and so does my buddies 2007 3.o volvo some are left bare and some are painted over just so happens his was left un painted. The forward area in question leached water along the top of the head and followed the path of least resistance thus the sut trail.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok thanks for clearing that up. I just seen it looked differant and knew that was a hot spot for cracks so I put two and two together.