1988 Rinker 140hp merc... And the journey begins.. help!

1988 Rinker 140hp merc... And the journey begins.. help!

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well i would first like to introduce myself as i am new to the boating community. So hello everyone and i thank you in the future for your help and advice.

So lets get started... I've been working on toys and engines since i was about 10, which began with taking my dirt bike apart just to see how it worked.... I have automotive and motorcycle experience, but the only maritime vehicles i have worked with have been jet-skis (rebuilt/restored 2-strokes). I decided to venture into the boating world.. I recently moved to Florida and i just have to own a boat, so i traded a rifle i had for a 1988 rinker 16' bowrider. I am very excited to try and restore this boat and have a nice little toy so dont mind my enthusiasm, i cant sleep some nights lol.

What i know about the boat....

Looks like someone attempted red-neck overhaulin on the interior with ply-wood and carpet. The engine is in very rough shape. To give you an idea, he alternator bracket has been replaced with a 10mm open ended wrench. Wire all over the place, hoses disconnected etc. The guy i got it from said it ran and was willing to get it started when i was looking at it but with all the parts that are disconnected i didnt want to start it and risk damaging it. Its a mess. The lower mounting bracket on the gimbal housing is broken off for the trim piston so i will have to replace the gimbal, i know this means pulling the engine. I have a lot of questions about other things non-related to this discussion section so i will save them for there. Here are my relative questions to this section.

My plan is ...

- Remove engine
- Replace Gimbal
- Clean all parts
- Test the Blower, and pumps
- Check for cracks and warn parts/hoses and replace
- Replace all possible gaskets
- Rebuild carburator
- Re-assemble, start
- Win!!

And im sure there will be a million and one things also thrown in there and it wont be that easy.

What i need help with...

To start i am going to need factory diagrams. There are a million things not hooked up and i have no idea where they are susposed to go.

Engine assembly diagrams, Full wiring, Transom, Gimbal, Cooling, Exhaust/intake, Fuel.. etc.. Where can i find the assembly diagrams for these items? And im not looking for a "shop/service" manual that tells me how to change the oil lol

With these there is no way i cant do it..

Where do i buy Parts??? Buy big parts like my gimbal assembly used on ebay or craigslist? And small parts from dealer? Im trying to be budget minded in this project.

Now i was thinking about going another route... Removing the engine and transom, closing the whole, bolting on a outboard mounting plate and dropping a outboard on there.. Any thoughts? Comments? Which would be more cost effective? Would require most work?

Thank you soo much guys/gals have a great weekend!

Re: 1988 Rinker 140hp merc... And the journey begins.. help!

Hi, and welcome. That's quite the "first post"!! There are so many questions it's a problem knowing where to start:eek:
I don't see any mention of hull condition - is this a fibreglass boat? If so you need to check it thoroughly for rot before doing anything else. My "gut feel" is you've taken on too big a challenge for your first foray into boating, but if you're up for a challenge and have lots of time and $ then enjoy ;)

Hi, and welcome. That's quite the "first post"!! There are so many questions it's a problem knowing where to start:eek:
I don't see any mention of hull condition - is this a fibreglass boat? If so you need to check it thoroughly for rot before doing anything else. My "gut feel" is you've taken on too big a challenge for your first foray into boating, but if you're up for a challenge and have lots of time and $ then enjoy ;)

lol after i got it home and started really looking through it i thought the same thing, "what am i getting myself into". But before i called it quits i decided to atleast look into what it will take to turn this thing around. As far as the hull is concerned it is fiberglass and i have removed the floor and went around with a wooden paddle tapping the hull looking for hard thumps rather than soft hits. The "idiot" and i use that word lightly, that had the boat before me put about 8 screws through the bottom of the hull while putting in his floor. so i will have to take them out, bore out the holes and fill with resin and some other marine hull repair stuff i saw some ppl talking about. The only money i will have to spend will be for materials and parts, i can do all the mechanical stuff, upoholstry, and my friend will paint it for me in exchange for some beer and fishing trips. Now i currently have no money out of pocket into this project, and time, well i will make it..

Whats your thoughts about just pulling the engine and transom assembly and selling that? Worth $1000?

Hocus Pocus...http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html#

Start there to find the engine/drive info you need.

Good luck and welcome the the finest boating forum on the web!

Thank you for the welcome, and the link. I used the search function to try and have this question answered before i asked it and found that link but i cant seem to find my year or engine.. its a alpha one stern/transom and a 140hp 4cyl mercruiser engine. I have serial numbers.. would that help?

Oshkosh1

Ensign

I have serial numbers.. would that help?

Not only help, but virtually required.
Provide as much info as possible when discussing issues here. There are so many variations that the specifics are vital.

Thank you That is exactly what i am looking for.. here are my serial numbers if it helps.. I guess my biggest problem is im missing some parts and i have some things that are disconnected but this should help greatly thank you very much!!!

Engine - A676934
Transom - A694408
Drive Unit - OA66134