nichollb

Cadet
I am looking to upgrade my boat from a 1991 19ft four winns bowrider 4.3L

To a very clean boat for sale locally.

2005 Maxum 1900sr W/70hrs
* 220-HP MerCruiser 4.3L MPI Alpha I
* 4 blade stainless prop
* New battery
* Professionally installed Monster Wakeboard Tower with speakers, light bar, wakeboard and ski racks
* JBL AM/FM CD player with 4 speakers and amp (plus tower speakers)
* Dual lounge seating
* Seating for 9
* Includes center bow cushion
* Snap-in Marine carpet
* Bow and cockpit covers
* Factory fiberglass swim platform with fold down ladder
* Lots of storage
* Galvanized trailer with spare tire and swing tongue
* I have all paperwork from original purchase as well as tower install

Also how is a 4.3L Mpi diffrent than a standard 4.3L
I am willing to pay a fair price I am thinking that this is October and the first thing that I am going to have to do is to get it winterized and store it for 7 months.
The current owner is asking about 3K over what the Nada guides valued it at giving full credit for the tower, covers, carpet exc.
Anyone willing to tell me what they think a fair starting offer would be?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: What would you offer?

Your actually looking at a fairly decent performance upgrade when you combine a newer motor, newer outdrive and newer Hull technologies, but your still in a 19' boat.

Personally I don't give NADA used boat prices any credit at all, there are way too many variables that NADA doesn't take into account, so what exactly is he asking for it?

nichollb

Cadet

Thanks for the replys.

Injected sounds like a good thing.

Sorry I failed to mention the list price is 19,000.

While searching the www trying to find some good comps I found out Maxum boats ended production in 2009. Not sure what I think about that but I am leaning toward not a positive thing.

tpenfield

Staff member

Did you check NADA or BUCvalue for pricing guides ???

that boat might have cost around $26K new . . .

I'm thinking a lot less than $19 . . . maybe $12K

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

The few that turned up in a couple searches I've done are all over the place but 19,000 is by far the high end, the next closest one was 18,700 and it was in Great Britain! So knowing this as well as this is the end of boating season your in a favorable position.

Now not knowing the condition of the boat as I have not seen it, lets assume its in very good condition, what would you like to pay for this boat or do you have any idea at all? go in below your price point and negotiate a price that is agreeable, for me I would be in the 13-14K area but I wouldn't talk price before seeing the boat in person or having a Survey done.

Maxum is a decent boat, they have their good points and their bad, they are no longer being made which is of zero concern in your case since there is no warranty anyway and the important parts of the boat (the motor and outdrive) are still supported since they were not made by Maxum anyway. More important to you is the care the boat has had over its lifetime, the price the owner is asking I would expect a boat in MINT condition, he is asking top dollar so the boat had better be a top dollar boat.

cyclops2

Banned

Thanks to the depression. Not many people are rushing out to by bigger than 19". All the marinas CAN NOT keep 19' or under. Those are top dollar.

The BUC book value of my 2002 19' MINT Chaparral loaded & V8 /trailer 175 hours 1 owner,me, should be + 20 K.............I can sell it anytime for about 13 to 14 K.

Big or expensive is a tough sell right now.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

MPI is fuel injected, the L model has a carb.

MPI is actually multi port injection, better than TBI... but not quite as good as SFI.

An '05 is 7-8 yrs. old and you're getting into the rot danger zone there if the boat wasn't kept covered or garaged.

At this time of year, offer the NADA value... if he doesn't bite, leave your name and number with him in case he changes his mind.

This is the time of year to buy a boat, not sell one... that'll change as spring nears.

nichollb

Cadet

5E15Ha5Jf3Ef3F43J1ca57c40593f320f19bb.jpg

I have not seen the boat other than Photos. iT is a 3 hr drive form me. If everything works out I will see it this week. It has been on the market for at least a month and in the one phone conversation I had the owner confirmed that all gauges and lights work and that it has never been in salt water. I am not willing to pay full price but searching the www for and almost 8 year old comp with less than 100 hrs has turned up few results. Keep the input coming.

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I may be totally wrong, but wasn't Maxum owned or built by Bayliner? I thought somewhere there was a tie between the 2.

southkogs

Staff member

I may be totally wrong, but wasn't Maxum owned or built by Bayliner? I thought somewhere there was a tie between the 2.
Both are Brunswick subsidiaries. Some Maxums are/have been (not sure any more) re-badged Bayliners, but not all. Max has had some nice boats over the years, and I wouldn't hesitate to look at one (or a newer Bayliner either, really). Condition is key with any used boat.