Bellows?

smg1z28

Cadet
I'm looking at a new 2009 leftover boat. Merc. 5.0 MPI Bravo 3.
This boat has been stored indoors, has 2.5 hours on it.It's been run only a few times for demo's. My question is, should I be concerned about the bellows? The boat will be sitting nearly 5 years by the time I take delivery in the spring. Everything looks great, no cracks that I can see, but I'm not a tech. Should I request the bellows be changed? Or it is only a concern with use?

Thanks,
Scott

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bellows?

I'm looking at a new 2009 leftover boat. Merc. 5.0 MPI Bravo 3.
This boat has been stored indoors, has 2.5 hours on it.It's been run only a few times for demo's. My question is, should I be concerned about the bellows? The boat will be sitting nearly 5 years by the time I take delivery in the spring. Everything looks great, no cracks that I can see, but I'm not a tech. Should I request the bellows be changed? Or it is only a concern with use?

Thanks,
Scott

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... That's a tough call, bein' a "New" boat....

I'd haveta Guess that you'll be changin' 'em in the next 3/ 4 years otherwise....

Is the Dealer gonna be the servicin' Shop,..??

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It would seem to me that heat, sunlight, and use are bigger factors than simply time - especially on a boat that hasn't seen the water at all. In fact, there's no way to know how long a "new" bellows you buy has been sitting on a shelf somewhere collecting dust. As long as the bellows seem pliable I would think you have nothing to be concerned about.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Like Bond-o said, you're probably good for a few years....but...

You may have some leverage with the dealer. Why not work it into the final purchase contract....put it on the table and make it part of the negotiations? That way you'll have the piece of mind of brand new parts; that's what you're buying with a new(ish) boat anyway.

That's what I'd do, but I'm a tad bit obsessive about boat maintenance. :rolleyes:

smg1z28

Cadet

Ted,
I'm worried about plenty! What else are you referring to?

The boat is being surveyed for added piece of mind.

Scott

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If the boat's been stored with the drive in the 'DOWN' position and the steering set straight ahead, you will have no problems. It's only when the bellows have been 'stretched' for an extend amount of time that they develop a 'set', and can crack when put back in service.

Chris......

millenium3

Recruit

Is it a possibility to get a test ride? If there is water intrusion in the engine bay then the bellows would have to be replaced. Take note of the noise coming from the engine bay while the motor is running (if there is an excess of grinding noise coming from the drive shaft that might indicate the gimbal bearing rusted). If not, the bellows are holding water out and no need to fix something not broken, no?

I wouldn't buy a boat without having it in the water at the least. I MUST be able to ensure the engine is easily started, drive goes in and out of gear (forward and reverse), trim/steering pumps are operable and without leaks and the reservoir is filled. The gauges should all work properly and the required switches controlling lights and components are operable. There are certain lights that are installed on the boat and must be in working condition in order to drive the boat during hours of limited light.

Just a few things to keep in mind...but I would definitely see if it takes on water.

-Joe

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Make them throw in an extended warranty and you will be good to go.

smg1z28

Cadet

Thanks for all of the replies, there's a 5 year warranty on the merc. That will begin in April when I take delivery. I assume the bellows is not under warranty. Is it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't think rubber items are warranted for normal wear (age in this case). Kind of like the impeller. Ask the dealer to be sure, or check the warranty book that comes with the boat.

smg1z28

Cadet

What should I expect to pay for a bellows replacement?
Is this a job normally done as preventative maintainence or is it a wait until it cracks thing?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cost varies depending on who does it, what they charge and sometimes even when they do it as some shops give a break in the off-busy season.

I believe the "book" says generally every 5-7 years but yours is slightly different since it's already been installed for 3 years and even if they tell you the drive has been stored in the down position, how do you really know?

Most new engines have a 10-20 hour first service item so see if this applies and if you suspect water getting into the bilge in your first few uses, have them fix it.

Mark

fishrdan

Admiral

The boat will be sitting nearly 5 years by the time I take delivery in the spring.

I wouldn't have a warm fuzzy feeling buying a "new" boat with 5 year old bellows, but I would be more concerned about the 5 year old water pump impeller....

How much of a deal are you getting on the boat, any wiggle room to have them replace the bellows, or have them write a warranty on them outside of the Mercruiser warranty.

It might be a good idea to have a discussion with their service department (just walk in like Joe-Blo off the street) to see how often they recommend bellows replacement and the cost, it might give you some leverage on the deal.