Sta-bil for boats

MtnExplorer

Cadet
Is there a different type of Sta-bil or other product that is appropriate for boats? Does this need to be run through the motor? What other steps are necessary for storage of a motor over the winter (in heated space)?

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sta-bil for boats

Yes there is a version that is more potent that is listed for marine use. Good idea to put it in....mix by driving trailer around (or boating)...and then run the engine for 5-15minutes to make sure the treated fuel has made it to and flushed out carb.

there is a winterizing sticky. (depends on engine)

but generally run for a while...change oils (engine and LU).....startup again....fog through airintake until stalling. Kill engine (manually with key or dies out with fog) . Pull prop and grease shaft. Lube all grease zerks and/or grease points in manual.

Drain all possible water from boat and engine.

robert graham

Admiral

Regular Stabil is red, Marine Specific Stabil is blue, costs more, claims to have more corrosion inhibitors....I've used both in my outboard motor, I think the less expensive Red Stabil is fine, considering the price!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I use Stabil in lawnmowers but in 2 stroke engines I use Sea Foam and have proven it's effectiveness. In my diesel tanks I use the diesel product Starbright from Startron co which keeps my tanks spotless.

Mark

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Is there a different type of Sta-bil or other product that is appropriate for boats? Does this need to be run through the motor? What other steps are necessary for storage of a motor over the winter (in heated space)?

Fog it or Sta-bil it depending on if its a Carb or FI motor ..

Yes do put a fuel stablizer in your tank at the proper mix before storage.

Most reputable places will disconnect your OB fuel intake and supply with a Special mix right into the motor fuel connection if its Injected.

If its not injected then they would Fog the carbs intake...

YD.

MtnExplorer

Cadet

I have a Yamaha F90 which I believe is carb'd. I live in the country and not near any "reputable places", so I am looking for direction on how to do this myself. Is the term "Fogged" or "fogged" a generic term or refer to a specific product? Is it best to have little or a lot of fuel in the tank? I have 42 gallon tanks so it will take a while to get them down lower. I live in a very dry climate and the boat will be stored in a cold but not freezing environment.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

"Fogging" is putting Fog fluid/spray into your carbs when its running.

Most peeps around here like to fill up there tanks for storage ( or almost full ). At this rate of fuel cost it might be a good idea to fill her up before gas goes up to 6 bucks/gal in the spring ;) .

YD.