Newbie here

johnp548

Recruit
Hey all

Looking to purchase my very first boat and scouring some CL ads. I really am looking for a cabin cruiser at this time. I am also looking for something fairly cheap say up to about 6k. I came across this boat but am concerned with its age. Is it worth buying a boat in good condition form the 70 to early 80's?

Here is a link to the one I may consider due to its price. Of course I would have it checked out ...

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bod/3316612511.html

Thanks!

johnp548

Recruit
Re: Newbie here

In the pictures it looks like a boat to me. About all I can tell though. :D

Seriously, if you are new to boating, get a survey done before you buy, it's money well spent. ESPECIALLY with a boat this old.

Definately would get a survey. But is it even worth going to check out something that is that old, would I be better off sticking with something in the later 80's?

southkogs

Staff member

Definately would get a survey. But is it even worth going to check out something that is that old, would I be better off sticking with something in the later 80's?
Not necessarily - condition is the key when buying used. A well maintained "artifact" can be a much better purchase than something more contemporary that's been beaten to death.

tpenfield

Staff member

All that I can tell from those pictures is that the boat is not a 'chick magnet' . . . just saying. :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.....
A few things I will throw at you....

Where are you going to keep it? Store it during the off season?

Not a good model/idea for a first boat. There are TON's of associated costs of a boat w/o a trailer and you will always be paying top dollar for maintenance! There will be significant maintenance with dual motors not to mention poor mpg.

Here are some suggestions......

First decide where you want to boat and type of boating activities. If you might want to travel with the boat to other bodies of water. A trailer boat is lower in maintenance but a bit of a pain to launch........ dock fees are varied wildly by area........ right now I have seen the market FLOODED with older cabin cruisers since people do not want to pay the removal, maintenance and storage fees.

You did a smart thing by bouncing ideas around with the member's here. :)

johnp548

Recruit

Thanks

I plan on keeping the boat slipped as I have no plans to buy a suv or truck. I woul still take it out during the winter months, just not as much during the summer. In the very cold months like Jan-March, I will have it stored at the marina where it is slipped. I live in the Northern, VA/D.C. area. I thought dual motors are better since I plan on taking it on the Potomac river down to Chesapeake bay, and as far south a Virginia Beach. I would also like to get out a few miles in the Atlantic. So a mix of fresh/salt and wouldnt want to be stranded if the engine died on the Atlantic or even the lower Potomac!

I am really wanting a cabin cruiser, b/c I like the fact they have sink, fridge, stove, toilet, ets. Can spend the night on them. Ill be mainly cruising and fishing. I have seen a lot of cabin cruisers at nice prices around here at the same time. Especially the 24-28ft bayliners.

Hrmm, so is it better to just have 1 engine? Would a cuddy cabin be a better choice? What is another option I have without breaking the bank based on my boating wants?

Welcome to iboats.....
A few things I will throw at you....

Where are you going to keep it? Store it during the off season?

Not a good model/idea for a first boat. There are TON's of associated costs of a boat w/o a trailer and you will always be paying top dollar for maintenance! There will be significant maintenance with dual motors not to mention poor mpg.

Here are some suggestions......

First decide where you want to boat and type of boating activities. If you might want to travel with the boat to other bodies of water. A trailer boat is lower in maintenance but a bit of a pain to launch........ dock fees are varied wildly by area........ right now I have seen the market FLOODED with older cabin cruisers since people do not want to pay the removal, maintenance and storage fees.

You did a smart thing by bouncing ideas around with the member's here. :)

tpenfield

Staff member

I have a theory about buying used boats . . . always get something that other people will want. That helps when you go to sell it.

If your plan is to keep the boat for a long time, then scrap it . . . you may have found an OK boat.

2 engines have advantages of reliability over a single engine . . . the disadvantages are in fuel and maintenance. Bigger boats (28 ft and above) need 2 engines to get the amount of power needed.

I just bought my third boat, a Formula 330SS, which is sort of a good compromise between a 'day boat' and a 'cruiser'. It has the amenities of a cruiser, that you mentioned, but in a more open cockpit design. The only thing that you don't get is the aft cabin.

Boaters typically start with something small(er) and then work their way up the size / complexity curve. This sort of boat that you are considering, is starting you out pretty far up that curve, so it is something to consider.

I was considering getting a (big) trailer and an F250 truck to haul my 'new' boat around, but opted for boat stands and local haulers, at least for a while.

Do you know that it will cost a few hundred $$$ to have the boat hauled out? . . . and the another few hundred $$$ to put it back in the water? So, that adds up and will probably be a deterrent to winter usage.

So, as Bob recommended, gather lots of facts, look around at lots of alternatives and the full spectrum of costs, etc. Do all this before you commit to any particular boat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

boats like that are a dime a dozen around here (I'm just down the bay in Norfolk; same market.) if you spend $2800 on that one you will quickly spend the rest of your $6000 budget.

Your purchase price is a down payment.

Since you are new to boating, get a handle on your fixed annual costs regardless of what you buy. First price the slip fees and be sure to know the extras. Then insurance (not always easy with an old boat; you'll be getting liability). Then cost to haul and return a boat that size. Bottom paint (every two years) parts and labor. Taxes.

Start-up costs: Initial engine work at $800 per engine. registration/title/sales tax. Survey. If it hasn't been run for a year, pump out old gas and dispose.

Where you are, be sure your head is compliant.

That is not a good boat for fishing around here. If you look at a cuddy/walk-around the cabins are small for overnights. A boat that's good for fishing and has a cabin will be harder to find than cruisers like that one, b/c they are more popular. They will come on the market end of December when stripers go out.

here's a bad sign on the boat you posted: empty bottle in the photo. Big sign the guy doesn't take care of things--and that he flunked his marketing class.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I worked at Carver in the 80's. They were still making the 28' mariner. At that time it had a balsa cored hull and wood stringers. Don't know about 1975 version. However, they were a good boat when new. Just make sure you get that survey in case the hull is balsa cored. A lot of older Carvers and other brands to have had big problems with waterlogged, seperated balsa in the hull bottom. Its a big (read as expensive) job to fix a problem with balsa core.