Tilt and Trim not working

jwigg21

Cadet
I am running a 1975 Johnson 115 on a 15ft Phantom Ski boat. I am having some problems with the tilt and trim. I just replaced the old motor with a new one and it is suppose to be a plug and play model. I have all my wires hooked back in and put fluid back in also. I am not able to get the unit to do anything, when I hit the up botton all I hear is a click that is coming from the silenoid and when I hit the down button I get nothing. Can anyone give me a suggestion on what I may have done wrong.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tilt and Trim not working

make sure you have an earth conection

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Did you hotwire the motor before you installed it to make sure it would work? Sounds like the trim button is functional-at least in the up position.

jwigg21

Cadet

Ok thanks for all the information, but what is the earth conection? Are you referring to a ground because is so no I don't think I did. All I did was hook up all the wires the way I took them off. Emdsapmgr I did not hot wire the unit first I just put it on I was thinking that since it was a brand new unit it should work.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yes, earth connection is a ground. Never forget, there are new parts and good parts.

jwigg21

Cadet

Ok thanks for that bit of information will try to make sure I have a good ground and I will try to straight wire it and if that doesn't work I guess I will be purchasing a new one again.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

check the thermal switch in the motor if its a 2 wire motor , cause 2 wire motors dont have an earth k , as the current changes for clockwise & anticlock wise they become earh either one of them , if the thermal switch is open due to over heat motor will not work , just solder the pionts together & fit a thermal switch on the out side , save your self buying a new motor k

Attachments

• Photo0623.jpg
    Photo0623.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 0

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it's a new one, take it back to the place you bought it from and get some warranty.

jwigg21

Cadet

The motor that I have has 3 wires, a black one, a blue one, and a green one. I tried just pluging it in and I got nothing. So I pulled all the wires out from the solenoid side and jut tried them in different positions on the motor harness and still nothing. Tried to hot wire it and still no luck, but I don't know if I was doing this part right because the wires were getting hot so I just quit on that part. I called the place where I ordered it from and had to leave a message so hopefully they will give me a call back tomorrow and let me know what I am doing wrong or if I am going to have to send this motor back.