1978 searay 18' Painting the topside?

mikeochs

Recruit
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum so please bare with me. I recently purchased a boat very cheap. The hull and motor, sterndrive,electrics,steering and pretty much all the major stuff is in good running order. It has a ford 302 omc that runs like a kitten. I did have to put in a trim motor and flush all the fluids in the outdrive, lower unit but that wasnt to bad. The boat just needs new interior and paint on the topside. I have sanded the topside and removed all the flaking off clearcoat or whatever it is. Here is where i am confused what is the base coat, is it gelcoat or paint, sorry i just dont understand this. The old color is that orange colored silver mettalic looking stuff. Is that gelcoat? Heres what I want to know? Can i put down a couple of coats of primer and then use a spray paint from a can like rustoleum and get a decent job. And what kind of a clear should i use? A poly? I painted my model rc boats like that and they turned out nice!

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1978 searay 18' Painting the topside?

first off, welcome to iBoats!!!
secondly, pictures would help....we are all picture junkies on here.
read the sticky in the beginning of this section of the forum to see about adding photos to your post.

there's guys on here that have painted using rattle cans all the way up to high grade marine paints and automobile paints....let us see what you are working with first.

mikeochs

Recruit

Ok guys ill get some photos up tonight

jbcurt00

Staff member

Read thru WoodOnGlass' paint post:

"Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks"

And watch some youtube videos on:

Roll & Roll

Roll & Tip

The only 'problem' with some rattle can paint choices is that you need so many that there are often cheaper alternatives that yield as good or better results....

Roll & roll is done using a paint roller to apply the paint & a 2nd roller to back roll & eliminate bubbles & laplines. Roll & tip is similar, you just use a brush instead of 2nd roller...

Welcome & looking forward to the pix

mikeochs

Recruit

Ok here is the link to my photos. Just some general photos of the boat and where i am on it. It has no intereior in now. I completely removed everything out. I was amazed at the condition of the floor, no rot, nice and solid.The cushion panels on the sides I am going to have recovered and I am going to rebuild som new panels that come up from the floor and then just put some new back to back box seats or if i come across some nice used ones. Oh and one other thing, some people are telling me this is a searay but I think it is a beachcraft. My title says suncraft bought im not sure.

http://s1306.beta.photobucket.com/user/mikeochs/library/