Clinton air cooled identification

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
I've gone to all the sites I can find on the internet and viewed many models and checked numbers but I can't find the year and horsepower of the one I just acquired. I picked it up for $10 and it starts up and runs. I'm cleaning and repainting the rusted tank. I found a tag on the side of the powerhead that says: 635-01 and 3920076. It has a carburetor mounted on the side (odd) of the engine. Anybody?

ps: I bought three other motors from the guy for $10 a pop. A 53 or 54 Evinrude Fastwin (15 horse I believe). A 48 Zephyr four cylinder (frozen); and also frozen, a 1941 Evinrude. Winter projects or parts for sale!

M

mrcrabs

Re: Clinton air cooled identification

the 635-01 sound tecumseh and so does the side mount carb but I don't remember any or can I reason why Clinton would need them, whats the cylinder head look like?

ps: I bought three other motors from the guy for $10 a pop. A 53 or 54 Evinrude Fastwin (15 horse I believe). A 48 Zephyr four cylinder (frozen); and also frozen, a 1941 Evinrude. Winter projects or parts for sale!
Nice catch, sure beats the heck out of the stock market for investment eh?, I'm into Scott-Atwaters this year...lol

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks mr crabs: The motor does have Tecumseh stamped on the flywheel. I assumed it was a Clinton because it was an air cooled single cylinder with a water intake tube near the prop; similar to my Clinton Apache. If it is a Tecumseh under what name would it have been marketed? Year and hp?

Watch out Scott-Atwaters and their cousins the Firestones can be addictive. I have six or seven and they tend to reproduce in my shed. I like the Golden Pennant the best. I have some fuel problems with the one's with tanks on top. They're cheap to acquire (20 to 30 bucks) and fun to play with.

M

mrcrabs

I have consulted with the great book of Tecumseh and it looks like Aqua Jet ( farrow Mfg.) used a 635-02, the only other outboard maker using tecumseh witha similar number would be Triton industries, Arrow marine corp. 635-11

I have a sweet low hour 10hp 56 Gold pennat laying in the hall way...lol...and I found a nice 55 year model engine for my 54 Firestone 10hp...also have 2 of the 462 firestones 3.5 with low serial numbers...30$ will not even buy the prop nut, there may be thousand but parts are $$$ when you want them, you have a fortune there if you decide to sell it piece by piece.

I just got in with a 1992 Alumacraft V170 Phantom and original 120 looper, the dang thang has a OMC kicker bracket and a 2002 Yaht club trailer and a brand new fishe finnder and trolling motor, Boat is in fair shape and the engine has 125psi on all cylinder but the lady burned the water pump up and ran the battery down showing it at $5000 since Aug.....Last night she droped the price 50%....the reason is a tragic one...guess?... but for 2500$ and getting it out of there yard helped them so I could not resist to buy...and the guy only had it for two week before...:(

M

mrcrabs

If you want it I have the PDF list of manufactures using the older Tecumseh powerheads and the engine models...PM me with a addy and you can double check it.