battery relocation question

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I am wondering if I need to take any precautions about moving the battery location in my boat.<br /><br />I run a 16' with a 55hp manual start motor. I use a full size marine battery which basically powers the fish finder, bilge pump and nav lights. The motor has a rectifier but no regulator and puts out about 14 volts when underway (don't know ampage). I currently run about 4 feet of 10 gauge wire from the motor to the battery and this seems to be enough to carry the charging current. There is never much of a draw on the battery.<br /><br />I am thinking of moving the battery from under the splashwell to the box under the sleeper seats because the battery currently limits the number of fuel tanks I can slide under the splashwell. This will result in maybe 10 feet of charging cable. Can I stick with 10 gauge wire? If I put it under the seat how much ventilation does it need?

18rabbit

Captain
Re: battery relocation question

Size 10 AWG is good for 12volts at:<br /><br />15 amps to 20 ft<br />20amps to 15 ft<br />25amps to 10 ft<br />30amps to 10 ft<br /><br />Note: distance is a measure of the full path of the circuit, i.e. pos and neg conductors (wires) so you are looking at 10 ft out and 10 ft back = 20 ft. Not so for cable…the wire connecting a charging source.<br /><br />If you are unsure, get yourself some AWG size 8 (30amps to 15ft) or AWG size 6 (30amps to 25ft). <br /><br />If you are moving the battery cables too, the recommendations are:<br /><br />Up to 3½ ft use size 4<br />3½ - 6 ft use size 2<br />6 to 7½ ft use size 1<br />7½ ft to 9½ ft use size 0<br />9½ ft to 12 ft use size 00<br />12 ft to 15 ft use size 000<br />15 ft to 19 ft use size 0000<br /><br />The battery needs simple ventilation at the top of the container it is in. The gases will rise. Be aware that the gases from the battery will want to corrode any metal that is exposed inside that same box. And you know the battery needs to be in a battery box, strapped down, right? :) <br /><br />Except for the starter wiring, any wires connected directly to the battery should be fused within 7 inches of the battery or within 72 inches if the conductor is enclosed in a sheath or conduit. <br /><br /><br />Hope that helps. Good luck. :)

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: battery relocation question

thanks that is perfect. no battery cables on it because I don't have to draw starting current. I can't really vent the top because that would let water in. Do you think if I put a louvered vent on either side of the sleeper seat box that would be enough?