3hp Sea King 1962 model GG18735B

SeaKinger

Recruit
If anyone could offer a suggestion on any of the questions below I would very much appreciate it:

3hp 1962 Sea King model GG 18735 B - possibly manuf by Gale ?

1) Service Manual source

2) Parts Manual source

3) Impeller part replacement source

4) When the impeller is operating properly should all the expelled warm circulating water come out of the 3 exhaust slits on the back of the motor about 4" under the power head?

Right now the majority of warm water is seeping out of the moving joint below the power head that allows the motor to steer right or left.

HELP !!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3hp Sea King 1962 model GG18735B

(2) I offered you one.

(3) Part number 550683, still available from Evinrude dealers, but pricey. Try http://home.earthlink.net/~flyingscott/index.html but be aware that there are two sizes for the 3hp, and yours take the small one.

(4) Water slobbers out all over the place, but the slots are the intended indicator. Most of it goes out the underwater exhaust. There is a seal 551629 that is supposed to lpeevent it from going up out the top of the swivel. Sometimes it doesn't do a very good job of it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Arrggh. "prevent" is the word. The buttons on my keyboard must have jumped around just then.

SeaKinger

Recruit

FR

So it sounds like no heat damage will occur if water slobbers out of the upper swivel joint at low rpm while increased warm water flow vents out of the 3 chevron slits at higher rpms - right?

Thanks for your help by the way.

SeaKinger

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That is correct. But let me put in a bit of a disclaimer. I'm assuming the casting isn't cracked or broken. I have never seen a broken one, but I guess all things are possible. The water from the pump flows up to the powerhead through a passage cast integrally into the swivel tube/crankcase which is all one part.

My own 1960-something Sea King 3 also slobbered out the top, and replacing the exhaust seal fixed it. But I wouldn't worry about it if it didn't. The water blowing out there is the same water going out the chevrons, has already gone through the powerhead and done it's job.