Adding electric brakes to boat trailer...

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have been kicking around the idea of trailer brakes on my boat trailer. In reality, i will not need them for a while. I need a duramax and a 5th wheel to complete my little plan too. That is a little ways off since i have to finish the basement before anymore toys are purchased (per the boss) :rolleyes:

One day i might end up getting a 5th wheel camper... so to pull tandem, the back trailer (boat) will be required to have brakes. Would electric even work in this situation? Or do they have to be hydraulic since the camper will be the electric ones.

Just wanted to see what your thoughts were on adding brakes. I have a single axle trailer... legally i do not need brakes. I thought they would be a nice addition while towing. I know hydraulic disc surge brakes would be the best... BUT i have fabricated a swing away tongue and going hydraulic, i would have to buy another swing away kit and fab it to the new actuator. But i wanted to see what you thought about going with electric. I have never pulled a trailer with brakes... but i figure some is better than none. :D

Thanks!

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Adding electric brakes to boat trailer...

To replace trailer's existing idler hub with electric brake hubs, surf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOKsU9fhbZ8

For wiring, simply install 7-pin male on the boat trailer tongue. Connect wires to its lights. And, also connect its brake wiring to the newly installed electric brake assemblies (see above video). For best results, use thick 10 guage wiring (control wire and ground wire) to each wheel hub. Use solder and shrink wraps as well.

Within the Tow Vehicle, install a electric brake controller (proportional technology). Prodigy P2 and P3 are good Brake Controller models. This brake controller can control up to 8 brake hubs using 30A breaker. re: 4-6 hubs on the RV trailer and 2 hubs on the attached boat trailer (attached to the RV trailer). One needs to install a 7-pin female to the rear of the RV trailer. For its brake wiring, I'd run thick 10 guage wiring to its trailer tonque wiring. Don't splice into the wire at its wheel hub. Since 2 x trailers is lots of lights for 12v wiring, it might best best to install LED lights on RV trailer and LED lights on the boat trailer as well. For more info about Prodigy Brake Controller, surf: http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90185.html

Before double towing, do "double check" the towing laws in your region (and visiting region). Some regions allow double trailer towing but end / end distance needs to be under certain amount of feet.

Hope this helps...

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

If you're planning on getting a Duramax and you live in Kansas, forget the brakes on a single axle trailer. Now if you lived in the Colorado mountains, I'd tell you to put brakes on the boat trailer. A 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck has pretty large braking systems.

Boat trailers simply work best with surge brakes. If you stomp on the brakes, you'll hear and feel the trailer brakes going chirp, chirp chirp. They've saved my rear end more than once on utility trailers.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well... the duramax is a WAYS off. And so is towing tandem. Lets just forget that for right now....

So, to simplify the question... Would you, or do people put electric brakes on boat trailers? This would be a fresh water inland lake going vessel. It seems i could get all the parts i need cheaper than the hydraulic. The main reason i would not like to go surge, is i would have more cost and fab work in re-doing my swing away tongue. Thoughts?...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Yes -- boat trailers can utilize electric brakes. Like the hydraulic counterparts, rust and corrosion is a problem on any brake system. The electrical components are potted so electrical issues are not a problem. It is a simple system and parts are easy to change if necessary.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As Silvertip said, electric brakes should work just fine. I have used both and really couldn't tell the difference. LOL I know you said to forget the tandem part, but. IMHO it is always best to have brakes on the stuff you tow. It always helps to stop plus cuts down on the wear on the tow vehicle brakes. Nothing is worse than being in an emergency situation and having your boat trying to push you. So bottom line is if it is easier to put elect brakes on the trailer that is what I would do..

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unlike some, I've had to opportunity to pull a trailer with and without brakes. A simple 2,500 lbs trailer and still being "under" my region's 3,000 lbs towing "without trailer brakes" law. Their comparison is like comparing night and day. After that day forward (the day I installed brakes under my utility trailer - many years ago), I will never pull a trailer more than 1,500 lbs without its own brakes again. And, I've pulled both Surge and full electric trailers since then as well. Personally, I like full electric trailer brakes the best. It immediately displays a wire (current flow) fault and if needed, one can adjust its power level "inside the Tow Vehicle" as well. For example…. If you feel more braking power is needed down a step hill, then turn the Brake Controller's thumb wheel (or boost setting) slightly higher. If empty trailer and its wheel is dragging too much, then "turn down" its boost setting. Simple dial or push button - which is located inside the cabin. On pure mechanical braking solution (like surge brakes), one needs to stop, exit their vehicle and make a physical adjustment. And if needed, make a re-adjustment later on - when its braking power needs to be further tweaked. For fresh water lakes / rivers, I like full electric brakes the best. When installing full electric brakes on brake trailers, simply use double insulated 10 gauge wire (bought at RV parts stores), use soldering, use liquid rubber around the solder joint, use shrink wrap and wrap joint with electrical tape as well. Thus, double/triple layers of water protection. And, ensure master junction box is mounted on the trailer's tongue (above the water line). Before backing trailer into water, simply unplug the 7-pin connector. This works for me….

About brakes…. It clearly states in my boat manual that wheel bearing and brakes must be inspected every 3 months of usage. Thus, allowing the removal of water (that gets sucked into the bearings) and cleaning of brakes as well. If one cleans their brakes every 3 months (as per boat trailer manual), then very low risk of crud build up - to the point where electric brakes fail. Electric brakes fail because many owners forget to inspect / clean their brakes / wheel bearings every 3 months of usage….

Just the other day, I read that 20% of EZ-Boat trailers are now being made with full electric brakes. Electric brakes have come a long way - since their original design. Thus, why many folks are now using electric brakes on fresh water exposure as well.

Hope this helps as well...

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've put electric brakes on my last two boat trailers and would never consider going back to surge brakes. For all the above reasons and I like to be able to apply the trailer brakes independantly of the tow vehicle in some cases. Oh, I sure don't miss that clunk, clunk, clunk of the surge brakes when I apply the brakes in my tow vehicle. If you install electric brakes, be sure to also install a break away switch and battery. They have some neat packages available now that are self contained and very simple to install.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

I put electrics on my trailer. It was pretty easy. The fact that I upgraded to dual 3,500 pound axles at the same time made it a bit pricey - $1,200.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

it is always best to have brakes on the stuff you tow. It always helps to stop plus cuts down on the wear on the tow vehicle brakes...

Thats what i was thinking... i dont legally need them. But sure as heck couldn't hurt having them. Would i have to run the battery and break away system? I know what it is for but i dont have anything like that now... so what would it hurt to just add the electric drum kit? Not trying to be cheap... just trying to simplify the install and keep the trailer clean (free of excess stuff)

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

To confirm if break-away system is mandatory, it might be best to check with your regional DVM folks. Or, simply visit your local police station as well. Each will advise the specific trailer braking laws - of your unique region.

For my region, towing law with trailer needing its own brakes is 3,000 lbs (or more). And if trailer has mandatory brakes, its also needs mandatory break-away switch as well. However…. If the trailer is under 3,000 lbs and does have its own "optional" trailer brakes, than emergency break-away switch is NOT legally required. Nice to have but NOT legally mandatory (under 3,000 lbs loaded trailer). Instead of spending dollars on emergency break-away system, I spent dollars on extra strong safety chains instead. re: Chains to support 6,000 lbs trailer - for my "loaded" 2,200 lbs trailer with 3,200 lbs axle. If the trailer does come unhooked from its Tow Vehicle, its next to impossible to break its upgraded safety chains. Yes. I could install a break-away system on the trailer as well. But like you, I want to keep its "optional" electric brake install clean as well. And, not worry about break-away system battery maintenance & removal during my deep freeze winter months.

Long mumblings short…. Do check with your specific region's DMV folks. They will clearly explain trailer weights, trailer length (when double towing), trailer brakes and when trailer break-away system is mandatory (from a legal view).

Hope this helps…

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The only legal info i can locate is if the truck and trailer can stop in 40 feet or less from 20 mph... no brakes are required on the trailer. Kinda weird... most states have a weight limit at which brakes are required. At any rate, they make no mention of breakaway requirements.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yup, but there is no mention of breakaway requirements. I think i will just do the electric drum brakes and leave it at that. We'll see how they do next year. What a shame... i only have one season on brand new hubs. Oh well, i will keep them for later.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I installed electric brakes last year on my tandem 3500 lbs axles. I think they are superior to the surge brakes they replaced. Cheap too, the backing plates with completely assembled brake assemblies only cost me 37 bucks per wheel. I re-used my drums though, not an option you have...

I recommend running two (power and ground) 10 GA wires from the tongue to each wheel, and then connect the power wires to each other with a cross wire from one wheel to the other. You can connect the ground wires to the brakes and to the frame by the brakes. That gives you the lowest voltage drop and a redundant path in case of a problem with any one wire. Make every connection with heat shrink sealing crimp connectors and seal every connection with a couple of coats of liquid electrical tape.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yup, but there is no mention of breakaway requirements. I think i will just do the electric drum brakes and leave it at that. We'll see how they do next year. What a shame... i only have one season on brand new hubs. Oh well, i will keep them for later.
You will need a break away battery and a break away switch/cable.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

That gives you the lowest voltage drop and a redundant path in case of a problem with any one wire. Make every connection with heat shrink sealing crimp connectors and seal every connection with a couple of coats of liquid electrical tape.

That really isn't redundant though... All it takes is for one wire to rub through somewhere and short out to the frame. A short on either way will kill the entire system. (would need to have 2 fuses per wire, one at each end, to make it redundant, so a single short wouldn't kill it)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You don't need to run a seperate ground wire to the brakes. That just makes things more complicated and adds nothing.

As fas as adding fuses to the brake wire, its not needed as its fused on the vehicle side.