Zodiac bed liner

raevin51

Seaman
Hi all, I am working on a winter project with my Grandson. The project is restoring a 1999 Zodiac Yatchline 420DL. As part of the project we would like to add an abrasive resistant coating to the bottom of the pontoon. I was thinking of using a spray on type of truck bed liner. Any thoughts or alternitives?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Zodiac bed liner

on the bottom? of the tube?
that rough surface will be like throwing the anchor overboard.
As soon as it deflates 1 psi, it will all peel off like a shell.

bad idea

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Zodiac bed liner

Hi all, I am working on a winter project with my Grandson. The project is restoring a 1999 Zodiac Yatchline 420DL. As part of the project we would like to add an abrasive resistant coating to the bottom of the pontoon. I was thinking of using a spray on type of truck bed liner. Any thoughts or alternitives?

Spraying bed liner on the tubes is a bad idea. As mentioned the rough surface will increase the drag of the boat. Also, the solvents in the bed liner might eat through the tubes especially if they inflated when it is sprayed on. If you must do something, I would think gluing extra patches of the same tube material would be the best solution. Some tubes already have extra material on the tubes in areas were higher were is expected. My Zodiac 470 has extra material on the bottom of the tubes towards the back (just in front of where the rear cones start) for this reason.

How are you going to operate your boat that makes you think additional abrasion resistance is that necessary? The YL420 is too big a boat to be hauling it on and off beaches very much. Even then you'll be more likely to damage the fiberglass on the keel rather than the tubes.