I need a short list......

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
.....of points to check and diagnose starter engagement, or in this case, the lack thereof.. This is for a 1976 888.

I would like a list starting A, B,C of where to start, Here is what I know. I get minor deflection of the gauges when I turn the switch to ignition. I also have juice at the coil +. The outdrive is in the full down position and the neutral safety knob on the throttle is pulled out.

I also know that the starter works. I hooked a remote starter button to the solenoid and starter turned over with alacrity.

When I turn the key to start, I get NADA.

I do know that the ignition switch is suspect, so is the neutral safety switch. Please list all points in order of diagnosis.

This is for my old Beachcraft project boat that has sat neglected for several years. The last time it was attended, all worked well. The boat has been stored outside but under good cover. Every time I have opened it up, I have been amazed at the lack of 'sweat' moisture inside the boat, However, we are in a damp environment, here in the PNW.

This boat is store a few miles from my house so I was hoping to take a list, and anything necessary to follow it, the next time I wander over that way. Winter is coming and I need to make the boat snow load proof as well as get the idle engine well lubricated. It has already sat these few years full of antifreeze.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: I need a short list......

Hey Boomie,

I assume the 'solenoid' you hooked into (when you tested the starter) was the one mounted on top of the starter motor itself.

I'd start by 'splitting' the system in half... Put a test light (or voltmeter/DMM) on the output side of the slave solenoid. Hit the key, and if you get power there, start moving down the line towards the starter motor. If you get NADA at the slave output, start working your way back to towards the instrument panel (but check the slave solenoid input feed first)...

Chris.....

EDIT: Re-read your post.
Minor deflection on the gauges..
Assuming you mean when you turn the key to START, that would indicate something is drawing power.
I also know that the starter works. I hooked a remote starter button to the solenoid and starter turned over with alacrity.
Now, if I was a betting man, That sounds very much like the slave solenoid is picking (that's the only thing in the circuit that would 'draw power'), but the internal contacts are not passing the current....

So, check you have full power available on the input side of the slave. If you have... I'd go for that. (But I would still use a DMM to confirm :D)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey Boomie,

I assume the 'solenoid' you hooked into (when you tested the starter) was the one mounted on top of the starter motor itself.

This is not a Chebby, Chris. It is a Ford. The $6 starter solenoid hangs below the exhaust manifold at the right rear. It is not on the starter itself. My question is what other components or connectors are between the ignition switch and the starter that could block keyed power to the starter.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have a neutral safety switch between the ignition switch and the solenoid, along with several connections.

You can use the information in this thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167035 for testing up to the solenoid.

EDIT: The neutral safety switch is in the throttle/shift control.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

You have a neutral safety switch between the ignition switch and the solenoid, along with several connections.

You can use the information in this thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167035 for testing up to the solenoid.

I think just what I needed Don. I'll print it out and take it with me. Battery is new, cables are bright shiny 2 guage. No click when I hit start, just nothing, but starter turns over smartly with a remote starter button. I think it has to do with sitting without activity.

Don S

Just happened to think about it, but your wire colors will be different than in the file, but the procedure will be the same.

You will have yellow instead of yellow/red stripe.

The $6 starter solenoid hangs below the exhaust manifold at the right rear.

Hopefully you have the right type solenoid for the Ford, and I hope it's actually mounted on a bracket and not just hanging by the wires. The ground for the solenoid is through the base, not the terminals.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Just happened to think about it, but your wire colors will be different than in the file, but the procedure will be the same.

You will have yellow instead of yellow/red stripe.

Hopefully you have the right type solenoid for the Ford, and I hope it's actually mounted on a bracket and not just hanging by the wires. The ground for the solenoid is through the base, not the terminals.

Yes Don, the wire at the solenoid is yellow and the solenoid is mounted up via a bracket. Even though this boat is a bit long in the tooth, based on the engine and outdrive paint, it appears to have had very little actual use.

My reference to the $6.00 solenoid was because it looked like a typical inner fender mounted Ford starter solenoid, the same type that I used on my Honda Lawnrider to replace a $100.00 Honda starter solenoid.

Don S

Yeah, same type solenoid as the old Ford cars and trucks used.

Here is a wiring diagram for your engine if you need it. Didn't have this computer on last night.
The diagram is for engines using an ammeter on the dash, not a voltmeter.

#2  Eng & Drives 74-77 204.jpg

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, same type solenoid as the old Ford cars and trucks used.

Here is a wiring diagram for your engine if you need it. Didn't have this computer on last night.
The diagram is for engines using an ammeter on the dash, not a voltmeter.

View attachment 170858

Thanks again Don, I will tuck that away for future reference. As it turned out this issue is to be blamed on the 'gremlins'. After taking your first diagram over to the boat and starting to confirm voltages and continuities, my friend, who was under the dash noticed a dangling red wire w/ eyelet at the fuse block. Glancing up at the fuse block, he noticed the primary feed lug had no screw in it. He touched the red wire to the lug and hit the key. Voila! The starter cranked right over. Never did find a screw rattling around on the floor.????