Evinrude 1996 E70RNLIB - Head Bolts and Head Gasket

leonb86

Recruit
Hi Guys,
In new to the forum :)

Have a quick question, where would i be able to purchase head bolts for my 96 Evinrude 70hp?
I noticed it was getting a bit smokey and popped the cowel off, with further inspection i saw that a small drip of water was coming out between the head and gasket beside the lower cylinder, i shut it off immediately. Im guessing the gasket is gone.

When i began to take off the head bolts, one was giving me particular grief, i got it off but it's quite rung! So obviously i want to replace it.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Rgds

Leon

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Evinrude 1996 E70RNLIB - Head Bolts and Head Gasket

Leon,don't know where you live,but,I would start by going to a local OMC dealer where u can get a gasket.I realize my reply is too obvious,BUT,most dealers have parts lying around.We often would go out of our way to help out a customer like in your situation.surely one can be ordered,but ,there are many outboard salvage places around.Im down in fl.Keys and could scrounge one up from any of my local guys.that all said,make sure the threads on the block are nice and clean.you will need to torque the bolts down,and,do not go from zero to the the set torque.Increments ,as many as 4 are a good idea.I would post the torque ,but dont have it right here .Someone may post,if necessary ,ask and I'll look it uo.The ol mind is slippin,used to be I recalled em all.

leonb86

Recruit

Leon,don't know where you live,but,I would start by going to a local OMC dealer where u can get a gasket.I realize my reply is too obvious,BUT,most dealers have parts lying around.We often would go out of our way to help out a customer like in your situation.surely one can be ordered,but ,there are many outboard salvage places around.Im down in fl.Keys and could scrounge one up from any of my local guys.that all said,make sure the threads on the block are nice and clean.you will need to torque the bolts down,and,do not go from zero to the the set torque.Increments ,as many as 4 are a good idea.I would post the torque ,but dont have it right here .Someone may post,if necessary ,ask and I'll look it uo.The ol mind is slippin,used to be I recalled em all.

Thanks for your response mikesea!

I live in ireland and have a feeling my local dealer is about 250 miles away!
So i was hoping i would be able to pick them up online (along with a gasket). Gasket seems to be no issue, theres lots around. Bolts on the other hand seem to be a different story... :(

Thanks for your help again, i want to get her fixed to get back on the water ASAP!!

L

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

OK Leon ,see your problem.My grandfather was from Roscommon,so let me take some special interest here.This site is the Bombardier site,who now have OMC.Your part number for the bolt is 322323, hope they can help you. The site is easy to operate thru.Also there is a site "**********"I get alot of parts thru them here in the States. Ok ,here's the OMC site http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=mjf5nfkb1004e85sn4klihk3r4&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

leon,it seems IBOATS will not allow me to post the website that sells outboard parts.Dont really understand why ,because,it sells parts that Iboats does not sell, but, if you search boat parts . net all typed together it shuld get you there. Hope I dont get the moderator or others mad,but this guy needs specific outboard parts only obtained from a dealer

leonb86

Recruit

leon,it seems IBOATS will not allow me to post the website that sells outboard parts.Dont really understand why ,because,it sells parts that Iboats does not sell, but, if you search boat parts . net all typed together it shuld get you there. Hope I dont get the moderator or others mad,but this guy needs specific outboard parts only obtained from a dealer

Excellent,
Thanks a million for your help!

Will post an update when i order the parts and get it running!

Thanks again Mikesea!
(FYI Roscommon is about 40 mins from me - Small world!)

L