TLDI tach hookup for a four stroke 20hp Tohatsu

exumadoug

Recruit
I recently bought a 2012 Tohatsu, 20hp 4 stroke, with electric start, power tilt and remote control unit.

There are four wires with male bullet connections coming out of the remote control. I can't remember the four colours off hand as I'm not at the boat.

I have a Tohatsu TLDI 7,000rpm tachometer with oil,temp and battery indicators on the panel of the tach.

Aside from the light connection, there are six wires coming from the back of the tach and they end up splitting into two separate connections. One connection has a white wire ending in a male bullet and the other yellow wire ends in a female connection in the black plastic casing.

The second connection is in a white plastic housing with small male pins inside. The wires are yellow with a red stripe,red,green and red with a green stripe.

How do I connect this? Is a factory plug and go cable available or do I have to start splicing wires?

There is an adjustable setting on the back that is covered over and looks like it has been set to 5.

Can this unit even be used with my 4-stroke?

Thanks in advance.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: TLDI tach hookup for a four stroke 20hp Tohatsu

The correct tach for your motor is Part# 3AC726400M (black face), or 3AD726400M (white face), $77.96 msrp, available from any dealer, including me.

It may be possible to get the TLDI tach to indicate RPM (only), but the other functions would not operate, because there aren't mating sensors on the 4-stroke to operate the other functions.