Force 50 flywheel questions

Silverhammer

Cadet
Hi Guys,

Im working on a 1985 force 50. I received it with a broken tower shaft and sheared key. My assumption was that the towershaft broke and knocked it out of time,causing backfire and shearing the flywheel key. I replaced the towershaft and key, fired it up and at an idle, it backfired and sheared another key. I am suspecting that the pressed-in sleeve in the flywheel may have spun. Am I correct in assuming that when no.1 is at top dead, the timing mark on the flywheel should be aligned with the timing marks on the tab mounted on the head? Also, I've read in this forum that the points should be set at .020. However, my manual states that they should be at .015. Also, if the flywheel is spun, what years and models of flywheels would interchange on this one?

Thanx,
Silverhammer

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 50 flywheel questions

If your manual is factory edition, go with that. If it is aftermarket like Clymers or Seloc, set points to .020. Either battery ignition or magneto ignition will run at either points setting. However, starting MAY be a little "iffy" at .015. I always set my Chryslers to .020.

You must torque the flywheel nut to 85 FOOT pounds (I think---read the specs) or she will shear the key every time she starts. You can not get it this tight with a simple hand wrench: You must use a Torque wrench.

Correct: at top dead center, the (0) mark on the flywheel should align with the pointer. I'm not sure about your exact year flywheel, but it may have marks for 32 degrees advance at wide open throttle.

If your 1985 is points and battery ignition OR points and magneto almost any year from a Chrysler 35,45,50, or 55 will fit, as will early Force non electronic ignition 50 flywheels. It is RARE for the cast-in hub to spin in the flywheel--rare, but not unheard-of.

Silverhammer

Cadet

If your manual is factory edition, go with that. If it is aftermarket like Clymers or Seloc, set points to .020. Either battery ignition or magneto ignition will run at either points setting. However, starting MAY be a little "iffy" at .015. I always set my Chryslers to .020.

You must torque the flywheel nut to 85 FOOT pounds (I think---read the specs) or she will shear the key every time she starts. You can not get it this tight with a simple hand wrench: You must use a Torque wrench.

Correct: at top dead center, the (0) mark on the flywheel should align with the pointer. I'm not sure about your exact year flywheel, but it may have marks for 32 degrees advance at wide open throttle.

If your 1985 is points and battery ignition OR points and magneto almost any year from a Chrysler 35,45,50, or 55 will fit, as will early Force non electronic ignition 50 flywheels. It is RARE for the cast-in hub to spin in the flywheel--rare, but not unheard-of.

My manual is aftermarket, so .020 it will be. That is after I find a flywheel cause my timing mark is definitely off some. Its actually a line and not a 0 if that matters.

Thanx for the info
Silverhammer

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Picture 299.jpgPicture 300.jpg

Have either of the flywheels in the pic?
One has a single hash mark Thats for TDC and the other has TDC and 3 marks for timing.

Figure out TDC and see if the flywheel mark aligns?
Top piston all the way out and the TDC mark should align??
Pics of the flywheel and of the marks will help a lot.

Do a static timing to preliminarily set the timing.
Or it can backfire again.