switching from aluminum to stainless prop

HopinImFloatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
does anyone think i'll have any issues going from an alum. to stainless prop of same pitch and diameter? i go a really good deal and couldnt pass it up. i didnt realize how heavy they were, was wondering if i may have wanted to pitch down 1 size. the boar runs fine with the old prop, planes well, nice holeshot, rpm where it needs to be. its an 18 foot cobia bowrider with a 4.3 omc 175hp if it matters. thanks

robert graham

Admiral
Re: switching from aluminum to stainless prop

I'm doubtful you'll be able to feel the differences "by the seat of your pants", but it should improve your performance overall....maybe a couple of MPH?...It might be interesting to GPS your top speed with each prop just to see what the difference might be? SS is nice and shiny!...that's gotta be worth something!;)

Fishin Magician

Petty Officer 2nd Class

alum. props break off fins and bend should you happen to hit something

Stainless DON'T.......everything else breaks..:eek:

Last edited:

jestor68

Commander

Prop manufacturers make a number of different SS props; each tailored for a specific application.

Since we have no idea what brand/design of SS prop you bought and how it compares to your al prop, no one can say for certain how it will work on your boat.

You'll just to try it and see.

The weight of the SS prop makes no difference.

HopinImFloatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the replies, the test will have to wait till next season though, already winterized. For 75 bucks i figured i couldnt lose

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You'll be much better off with the stainless. I used to go thru an aluminum prop a year. My stainless has gone 10+ years without a scratch.

Any boat 115 hp or larger really needs a stainless. If a smaller engined boat is used in shallow water, they need a stainless.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You'll wonder why you didn't make the change sooner.

If you're worried about breaking something in the drive if you hit bottom, just stay away from solid hubs. Most of the props that will be suitable for your rig will have a delrin hub that will give (or break) way before anything on the drive will.