1979 evinrude 15 hp no spark

edude

Recruit
i recently purchaced a 79 evinrude 15hp off craigslist. It ran great in a tank took it out on the lake and ran great for 20min. pulled out tried again 2 days later. it ran great then died, i check for spark nothing on either plug. I have 0 continuity thru the stop switch when not depressed, and continuity when it is. please help as i feel i may have been ripped off. Is there any way to test the power pack or other tests I can do with out a manual. Thanks for all the help

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1979 evinrude 15 hp no spark

Make sure the power pack and coil mounting screws are not corroded and causing a poor ground to the ignition system, and look to see that the flywheek key did not shear off.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go to CDI Electronics.com for troubleshooting procedures on the ignition system.

kbait

Commander

If your coil, cdi, and chassis grounds are secure, kill switch not faulty (you checked that), then the most likely culprit is the cdi box itself. You can confirm by checking resistance of the other possible components by testing their leads (charge coil and pick-up coil under flywheel) w/a multimeter as boobie steered you toward^. New CD boxes are about $90. I can usually find a good/used from salvage for less than $40. I use timsoutboard.com, and here are a bunch of others: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=438822

Good luck!

edude

Recruit

If your coil, cdi, and chassis grounds are secure, kill switch not faulty (you checked that), then the most likely culprit is the cdi box itself. You can confirm by checking resistance of the other possible components by testing their leads (charge coil and pick-up coil under flywheel) w/a multimeter as boobie steered you toward^. New CD boxes are about $90. I can usually find a good/used from salvage for less than $40. I use timsoutboard.com, and here are a bunch of others: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=438822

Good luck!

thanks for all the help from everyone, it looks like its the power pack