Toe angle calculation

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 30' scarab with twin 250hp HPDI yamahas. They are 25 and 7/8" apart. I'm installing a tie bar and am looking for help getting the toe in/out calculation. I'm mainly looking for safety reasons and not overly concerned about the greatest of performance. I'm assuming toe in is when the props are slightly angled toward each other and toe out is when the props slightly point away from each other. Well any help would be great. Thanks.

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Toe angle calculation

Just like a car and sneakers, 'toes go forward'. Toe-in is a convergence of the prop shaft angles somewhere forward of the engine.

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh ok thanks, I spent a lot of time last night reading about it and found a lot of people just leave it at about 1/2" toe out (fwd half of engines slightly pointing away from each other). My engines are closer than they should be so I'm wondering if I should leave no toe angle, or if anything leave them toed in a bit. But from what I read there is no way to determine anything unless bringing it out on the water and see where the wakes meet.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry for stepping in here, but curiosity begs the question: Why not set the engines parallel? Why do they need to be set not parallel?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks. Interesting, and it makes sense!