Fuel problem on 1999 johnson 150....Not even vaccum suction on 3 of the carbs

callmedaddy

Recruit
:confused:Good evening Gents, I having problems with my motor staying crunk. The motor sounds rough and and the outboard continues to shut off when I rev it in full throttle. I was placing my hand over the carbs the other day and I notice that the suctioning was not even over each carb. When I place my hands over five of the carbs the motor chokes out, but on one of the carbs the motor stays running! :confused: Please advise what direction I should go in fixing this matter!:D Thanks in advance for your help!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel problem on 1999 johnson 150....Not even vaccum suction on 3 of the carbs

You've got a prob in the cyl that you can hold your hand over the carb on. Carb, spark, or compression.

callmedaddy

Recruit
Re: Fuel problem on 1999 johnson 150....Not even vaccum suction on 3 of the carbs

You've got a prob in the cyl that you can hold your hand over the carb on. Carb, spark, or compression.

Thanks for replying so quick! I checked the compression on all six cylinders and it read:
Right top- 100 Left top-95
Right middle-100 Left middle-97
Right bottom-103 Left bottom-98

I also check and cleaned the battery cables plus changed the spark plugs(which looks good a bronze color) but the motor is still running rough! I was told its probably my intake manifold vaccum. Can you p
lease advise what step you think I should try next?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check the spark with an open air gap spark tester set at 7/16". If it passes that test squirt some premix fuel in the cylinder that didn't respond to the hand test and see what happens.

callmedaddy

Recruit

Ok Captain Blinked, I tried the adjustable ignition test today and three of cylinders on the right side had a spark set at 7/16, but all of the cylinders on the left side had no spark at all. Do this means I had to replace the wires, the coils, or both?

callmedaddy

Recruit

Ok Captain Boobie , I tried the adjustable ignition test today and three of cylinders on the right side had a spark set at 7/16, but all of the cylinders on the left side had no spark at all. Do this means I had to replace the wires, the coils, or both?

Sorry Captain Boobie!

callmedaddy

Recruit

Fleet Admiral Boobie, I checked the spark with a gap tester set at 7/16 on the entire left side 3 cylinders dont spark, but the entire right side 3 cylinders pass the test. What do you suggest might be the problem now? Thanks in advance for a speedy reply!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Are you talking about the port or stbd side ??