Alignment Tool - Anyone tried tubing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glaspar_Fan

Seaman
I'm considering making my own alignment tool out of 4130 tubing. Starting with 2 feet of 1" then slipping a few inches of 1-3/8" .188 wall over that. The whole works would be less than $20 and minimal fab time. The only rub is that the tool spec calls for 1.010" not 1.00". How important is that last ten thousandths? Anyone else tried this?

Thanks,

John

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alignment Tool - Anyone tried tubing?

How important is that last ten thousandths?

Very important. With your idea, you might as well just eyeball it. You will get just as close.
Is a $40 ebay alignment bar more expensive than pulling the engine and replacing the coupler the second time?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... We're talkin' Machinery here,...

.010" is 'bout equal to a Mile,......

Oshkosh1

Ensign

:facepalm:

On a NON rotational part/NON sleeved part...you MAY get away with a little "slop"...but even that is speculative at best.

"Cliffs Notes" version:
When you're dealing with rotational forces, any variance is amplified and exponentially detrimental in comparison to a surface which is not under the influence of axial imbalance. Horizonal/vertical/lateral interference/transitional fit tolerances, and cylindricity will quickly errode if not accurately aligned.

Or, in other words...spend the $40 and get it right the first time!

Along the lines of the "eyeballing" is the "if the drive pulls out and goes in "easy" it's good" alignment method.

Also akin to the infamous
"Torque wrench...we don't need no stinkin torque wrench!" mechanics mantra!:D

Glaspar_Fan

Seaman

OK, it seemed like a good idea at the time. I'm used to dealing in fractions of thousandths, it just seemed that with the amount of shifting allowed by engine mounts under strain, that .01 might be noise. I'm also used to taking good advice though, and I will this time too!

Thank you all for taking the time to comment,

John

Blader

Cadet

Hi all ive been reading of how to make a alignment tool was wondering if it can be made from aluminium? Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Hi all ive been reading of how to make a alignment tool was wondering if it can be made from aluminium? Thanks

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... The Only Plus I can think of for aluminum would be machining the piece,...

All Minuses after that... It'll wear quicker, 'n bend easier...

:facepalm:

On a NON rotational part/NON sleeved part...you MAY get away with a little "slop"...but even that is speculative at best.

"Cliffs Notes" version:
When you're dealing with rotational forces, any variance is amplified and exponentially detrimental in comparison to a surface which is not under the influence of axial imbalance. Horizonal/vertical/lateral interference/transitional fit tolerances, and cylindricity will quickly errode if not accurately aligned.

Or, in other words...spend the $40 and get it right the first time!

Along the lines of the "eyeballing" is the "if the drive pulls out and goes in "easy" it's good" alignment method.

Also akin to the infamous
"Torque wrench...we don't need no stinkin torque wrench!" mechanics mantra
!:D

Ayuh,.... But my elbow IS Calibrated,..... :cool: Pretty much Every day....

Blader

Cadet

Ahhh yes i know i can buy it there but i live in canada and they want double it for shipping...and i have access to stuff to make it...but i was wondering if aluminum was ok i know that its soft ...but its free,for me...thanks

Don S

Try it, the worst that can happen is it won't work. And maybe you loose a $300 coupler and have to pull the engine. Who knows.

Just turn the engine 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 to check the alignment. Also, if you turn the bar and not the engine and it gets tight, your alignment mop is bent.

Blader

Cadet

Its a solid dowel it all its doing is checking alignment right? Theres no load on the bar for 1 time use each year i would think it should be ok? Thanks

Don S

Its a solid dowel it all its doing is checking alignment right? Theres no load on the bar for 1 time use each year i would think it should be ok? Thanks

There ya' go, you made a decision from the information you received.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The bar also doubles as a seal driver and gimbal bearing driver... you have to wail on it pretty good to fully seat the bearing. My steel bar is getting a little mushroomed from the two bearings i have installed.

Speakrdude

Ensign

I'm glad to hear that Stingray. My alignment tool is deff beginning to mushroom.

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class

Blader....that is the key word - right -. some things with boating that you just cannot get around and some you can. you will hear that alignment is VERY critical and important. Done right it can save you hundreds....done wrong it can cost you hundreds! If yur a DITYer, invest in the correct tools, you won't regret it. I have several tools (some not cheap) and I call all of them my ex's, for I only use them annually or very seldom....LOL. Another option would be to take it to mechanic and have them do the alignment for you and it probably wouldn't be much more than the tool itself...and your good to go! just my 2 cents....

Blader

Cadet

Ahh yes i hear you Ive already got one made up for free and its out of alumininum. I will look for some 1/3/8 dowel stock and get that one done too. I just cant see spending over a 100$ for something that you use once a season and its doing no more than checking alignment. Thanks for your 2 cents and Im just stating my 2 cents

Bondo

Staff member

Ahh yes i hear you Ive already got one made up for free and its out of alumininum. I will look for some 1/3/8 dowel stock and get that one done too. I just cant see spending over a 100$ for something that you use once a season and its doing no more than checking alignment. Thanks for your 2 cents and Im just stating my 2 cents

Ayuh,.... You can rent it to all yer friends, 'n dock-mates,... be turnin' a profit in no time...

Status
Not open for further replies.