New pontoon boat, winterizing (1st time) help and suggestions.

robby69

Cadet
Sorry for the long thread, but I would like to get advice on winterizing/storing my pontoon.
I bought a 26' Suntracker Tri-Toon with 150hp Mercury 4-Stroke last spring. This will be the first "winter" for it here in Illinois.

I have a floating 5000lb pontoon lift. Air goes in to pump the water out of the floats to raise the lift, and water goes back in the floats dispersing the air to lift the pontoon.

I was told that I could have a service tech come out and "winterize" the boat on the lift in the dock, or they could come and trailer it to their facility, but it would have to be shrunk wrapped and stored "outside" (details later)

My questions are:

1) I understand that I should have my gas tank at 3/4 full before he adds the stabilizer, and that I should keep the engine trimmed in the down position? Do I need to take the battery out?, if so I will have to have them do it. I guess if I don't it will just need to be charged in the spring, or can it be damaged from freezing?

2) I was originally wanted to store it off lift "inside", but was told by tech that since I did not have a trailer for it. (Didn't buy one, because I don't plan on going to any other lake), that they could store it but it would have to be shrink wrapped and stored outside, as a trailer is necessary to store it "inside".

After hearing that, my thoughts are now to leave it on the lift over the winter, since it is covered somewhat from the elements and have the engine winterized on the lift. It didn't seem right to leave it out all winter in the middle of a concrete cornfield.

Should I have it shrink wrapped on the lift then, or just leave the "snap" custom canvas cover on that I bought for it. The canvas cover I has snaps every 8-inches all around the boat, and has a couple of posts to keep it from sagging as well as vented. Shrink wrapping would cover all the way down the sides under the deck though. The canvas seemed to keep everything dry, but for a few spiders etc. getting in, but we have been in drought conditions all summer here.

Also, it is OK to leave the outboard "uncovered", even though it will be somewhat protected some by the dock roof, or is there something I should cover it with.

The dock guy said I should get a bubbler for the dock to keep the ice at bay just in case either way, although last winter the lake didn't even freeze much by the shore. (Mild winter)

Any other suggestions/alternatives, or comments on what I am doing? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• pontoon.jpg
    pontoon.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: New pontoon boat, winterizing (1st time) help and suggestions.

Lots of issues to cover....

It it were me, I would store it inside. Lots of storage places have scissor trailers that alllow you to set the pontoon right on the ground. No big deal. If you leave it outside, I would get it off the lift and and shrink wrap it.

As to fuel, leave it as low as possible and treat it. That way in the spring, you can fill it with fresh fuel. I can't think of any reason to store a boat with a full tank.

I usually leave my batteries on my boat. If the battery is good it will have no problem making it through the winter. If it is bad, it won't. My battery sat on the pontoon all last winter and fired right up w/o having to use a charger in the Spring. If you want to remove it, you can. If you leave it on the boat, disconnect it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The fuller the fuel tank, the less air and hence less space for moisture to condense. Besides, fuel does not go bad in a few months of layup. Add the fuel stabilizer and run the engine long enough to get the mix into the engine. Use stabilizer during the boating season as well. You have a four stroke motor so change the engine oil and filter. Tough to change the lower unit lube on the lift but do it anyway. Remove the battery and store it in a cool place topping it off with a charger once a month or so. A charged battery will not freeze. A discharged battery will freeze. The engine will self-drain if left in the full down position. You can cover the upper engine with an engine cover. If you are not capable of doing the oil/filter/lower unit service then you need to have it done.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Good info from Silvertip. I would only add that You should have it shrink wrapped. The canvas cover might tear from winter wind and snow weight if you get a bad storm. I would store the canvas cover inside somewhere, not on the boat. And, IMHP I would not store it on the lake over water that might freeze in a bad winter and have wind blown shifting ice. Up here in WI most pull their lifts and/or docks to. I think we might be in line for a bad winter after last year.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lots of issues to cover....

It it were me, I would store it inside. Lots of storage places have scissor trailers that alllow you to set the pontoon right on the ground. No big deal. If you leave it outside, I would get it off the lift and and shrink wrap it.

As to fuel, leave it as low as possible and treat it. That way in the spring, you can fill it with fresh fuel. I can't think of any reason to store a boat with a full tank.

I usually leave my batteries on my boat. If the battery is good it will have no problem making it through the winter. If it is bad, it won't. My battery sat on the pontoon all last winter and fired right up w/o having to use a charger in the Spring. If you want to remove it, you can. If you leave it on the boat, disconnect it.

If the fuel tank is metal, keeping it full reduces the chances of the tank rusting. I always store mine full with the stabilizer and seafoam in the gas.

rogerwa

Commander

Depending on your situation, there is another option. Rent the trailer, pull it out of the water and set it on blocks on your property. You can have it serviced there and even have it shrinkwrapped. I do this and build a big tent over it to protect it from snow. The snap on cover is not sufficient for winter layup, especially for a snow area. Your snap on cover will last longer as well.

I use a 30x40 foot plastic tarp over a 2x4 wood frame. Never had a snow buildup problem. I use tarp clips that I tie down to tent stakes to put the tarp under tension and to keep it secure. This is a cheap and fairly easy DIY job, but shrink wrap would be easier and just as effective.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

We get snow. Sometimes we get LOTS of snow. So on top of putting the hoop type storage poles up, with vertical supports, then the waterproof cover, I'll be doing multiple layers of 6 mil black plastic - with heat tape sandwiched between two layers. Storing the biminis under the boat, on the trailer.

Oh yeah - we het 100 MPH winds (usually in February) too.

Jeep Man

Commander

Robby, you have an almost identical set up as my wife's cousin. We keep our toon nearby. Where we trailer ours out of the lake and tent it in with a 2x4 frame and tarps, the cousin raises the lift all the way up, slides 4x4s under the toons from side to side and then lowers the lift. A bubbler keeps the ice at bay. The 4x4s also double as support for a small work platform on the shore side to assist in winterizing. I should mention, the pontoon is stored with the motor on the shore end. He leaves his cover on but covers it with a tarp to keep it completely dry. The only noticeable difference from your dock is the roof. His has a lot more slope to eliminate heavy snow build-up. If your snow load is not a concern, I would think the same plan would work for you. Silvertip has your motor prep downpat. Stabilizer, full tank, change the oil, filter, and bottom end oil.

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Even with Seafoam, I always heard that you should run all the fuel out of the motor since ethanol is so hard on metal. My plan was to start the motor, disconnect the quick connect fuel line and let the motor run out.

Also plan to fog the cylinders.

misasuoos

Recruit

The fuller the fuel tank, the less air and hence less space for moisture to condense. Besides, fuel does not go bad in a few months of layup. Add the fuel stabilizer and run the engine long enough to get the mix into the engine. Use stabilizer during the boating season as well. You have a four stroke motor so change the engine oil and filter. Tough to change the lower unit lube on the lift but do it anyway. Remove the battery and store it in a cool place topping it off with a charger once a month or so. A charged battery will not freeze. A discharged battery will freeze. The engine will self-drain if left in the full down position. You can cover the upper engine with an engine cover. If you are not capable of doing the oil/filter/lower unit service then you need to have it done.

Thanks Silvertip. I appreciate your input very much. It helped me too. :)

Jeep Man

Commander

Even with Seafoam, I always heard that you should run all the fuel out of the motor since ethanol is so hard on metal. My plan was to start the motor, disconnect the quick connect fuel line and let the motor run out.

Also plan to fog the cylinders.

His motor is a 4 stroke and if it is a newer model it will be fuel injected. Not adviseable to run an EFI dry.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

Best advise and solution to winterizing....

GO WEST YOUNG MAN. Use that 'Toon year round, no need to winterize!!!!

WaterDR

Been there done that....would never go back to Ca. Besides, nothing like shoveling snow and driving on ice to make your back-side pucker. Makes us appreciate the summers so much more. Now that I think of it, maybe I should go back.

misasuoos

Recruit

EDIT: I just found this article through Google. I hope you find it helpful:

Top 12 Boat Equipments You Cannot Live Without

There are many different types of boating accessories available; some are exclusively for those who want to go fishing, others for those who would like to sell their boats at a heavy price by increasing its resale value, still there are other accessories which are mainly for sports enthusiasts. There are also certain boat accessories which you MUST buy for the safety and security of your boat. In this article I will tell you about twelve important accessories a boat should have.

In order to choose the right accessories for your boat, it is important to keep in mind the type of boat you have, the things you plan to do with your boat, the size of your boat, etc.

Accessory #1 - GPS System: One of the most important accessories for any boat is a GPS system. In times of trouble, it could prove to be your lifesaver by helping the rescue team save you from any kind of danger you might be in. There are certain things you need to consider when buying a GPS system! A typical GPS system must have the ability to:

a) Highlight the regions in the water where you would find plenty of fishes

b) Be able to pick up satellite signals quite promptly. so that it becomes easy for you to travel through water!

A quality GPS system's LCD screen should be at least 4 inches in size; DO NOT compromise for anything smaller!

Accessory #2 - Fishing Rod Holder: Needless to say, this is mainly for the fishing enthusiasts out there; if you are not one of them, then don?t buy it! These holders have the ability to attach themselves to the sides of your boat and hold your fishing rods for you. There are different types of fishing rod holders available, such as front mount, 2-way top mount, dual rod holder, rear mount, etc. When choosing a fishing rod holder, it is important to consider the type of fishing rods you have/want to use, as well as the quality of the material your boat is made of (needless to say, the material of your boat should be of high quality, and the boat itself should be well-constructed).

Accessory #3 - Boat Fenders: Also known as marine fenders, buffers, bumpers, etc., this is one boat accessory you simply cannot live without even if you want to! By saving your vessel from getting damaged, these act like shields for your boat. These are especially necessary when you are docking your boat. There are different types of boat fenders available. The traditional, old school types of fenders were extremely cumbersome, as these lacked the ability to be folded away in a small place; no wonder that boat owners often found these to be a huge hurdle. At the same time, they simply could not afford to be without these fenders - you know why!

Times change, and so do boating equipments and supplies. If you have got super pumps (you should; they are not only essential but also extremely handy), you can instantly inflate these fenders whenever you need them, and once you are done with them, simply unfasten the inflated fenders by opening the screws! Once you unscrew them ,the fenders get deflated to a miniscule size; you can then tuck them away at a safe corner. Can anything possibly be easier than that?

There are many other differences between old and new boat fenders. New boat fenders are usually made up of more durable material so as to ensure that they last for a longer time and can even take in a couple of hits without bothering you too much! Heck, maintaining and repairing these fenders are so easy that you can manage it without requiring any expert help! Hey, old is not always gold, after all!

Boat fenders also protect your boat from harsh weather conditions, such as storms, high tides, huge sea weaves, etc.

Accessory #4 - Electric Winch: Want to increase the speed of your boat? Imagine, sailing in your boat at the speed of breeze! Well, that is exactly where these electric winches come in!

Accessory #5 - Communication Radio: Imagine being lost in the sea, with nobody to help you out, simply because you have no communication system with you! What a terrible thought, right? Well that is exactly where communication radios come in. You can use this piece of equipment to communicate with anyone you expect help from, such as the local authorities or even other members of the crew you are part of!

The other things that can keep you on track when on a sea voyage are a map and compass; these would ensure that you never lose your preferred direction!

Accessory #6 - Flag: Yet another thing that your boat should have is a flag. In case you are abandoned by your crew, this flag would come to your aid. It has been an ancient mode of communication for sailors and is as much important even in the face of modern, high-end technology! You would want to choose a flag whose color can offer a striking contrast to the bluish color of the sea water, so as to help an airliner or a passing boat identify you easily!

Accessory #7 - Storage Cans: When you are on a fun trip, and a long one at that, you certainly don't want to be in a situation when you suddenly run out of gasoline, do you? That is why, depending on the length of your trip, you would want to store plenty of fuel gas in storage cans!

Accessory #8 - Waterproof Binoculars: While a GPS system offers you the basic security you need, you might also consider adding waterproof binoculars as an essential add-on on top of the GPS. There are certain things such as troubles or obstacles at the docking place you are approaching - which cannot be easily detected by a typical GPS system; this is where these cool binoculars come in! Besides, adding these types of equipments can increase the resale value of your boat, and you can confidently charge a premium when selling your boat down the road! There are different types of waterproof binoculars available - each with a different purpose - so please choose your equipment carefully!

Accessory #9 - Seating: First of all, you should buy seats constructed with quality materials. Remember, you are not buying seats for a car, but a boat, and a boat is subject to being damaged by wet environments; you may find it annoying to change your seats too often, so it pays to invest a bit in this area.

Your seats should be arranged in such a way as to offer you the optimum boating experience. You might want to re-upholster the fabric of the seats, and if necessary, add cushions to them to make your seats more comfortable. When buying cushions, make sure that they are waterproof and dew-resistant!

Accessory #10 - A First-Aid Kit: You may or may not know this, but a lot of people suffer from sea-sickness (nausea) when they are out on the sea for a really long period of time. For this reason, you would want to keep a first-aid kit with you that could come to your aid if you start vomiting or nauseatic feeling!

Accessory #11 - Water and Food: Yes, these are among the MUST-haves, but chances are that you already know about it, so I kept this for the last! You should carry enough mineral water/fresh water with you as necessary - to serve you through the period of your sea voyage. If you don't have enough fresh water supplies with you, or if you drink sea water, you can actually suffer from dehydration, thirst, itchy and dry skin, loss of appetite, etc.

Along with water, food is also essential You should keep foods which can be kept for days on end without requiring them to be stored in a cool place; this is because if you are touring during the daylight hours, you can bet your bottom dollars that the food is going to get warm, perhaps even HOT - due to the scorching heat of the sun!

Accessory #12 - Vents: An excessive amount of heat (emanated from sunlight) can damage the color and surface of your boat, while humidity can dampen your boat's surface (which in turn can give off foul odor)! For this reason, you should buy quality vents to protect your boat from heat, humidity, foul odor and dampness!

Article Source: http://totalinfotips.com/boating/top-12-boat-equipments-live.php

WaterDR

Not sure how that helps with winterizing, but OK..:)

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I was told that I could have a service tech come out and "winterize" the boat on the lift in the dock, or they could come and trailer it to their facility, but it would have to be shrunk wrapped and stored "outside" (details later)
Having them come out sounds like an expensive proposition. Have you done the first oil change/lower unit grease change--usually about 20 hrs.? I changed oil and did the lower unit grease change on my trailer in just over 1/2 hr. Saturday. You could probably buy a trailer for 5-6 service calls--and do the maintenance in your driveway.

1) I understand that I should have my gas tank at 3/4 full before he adds the stabilizer, and that I should keep the engine trimmed in the down position? I've heard it both ways--keep it full, keep it empty. I just say make sure to put 100% gasoline in the boat to keep away from the 90/10 separation problems. Do I need to take the battery out?, if so I will have to have them do it. I guess if I don't it will just need to be charged in the spring, or can it be damaged from freezing? There again, you can go either way. I prefer to keep my battery in the garage on a Battery Tender to maintain the charge. My boat's kept in a boathouse 24/7, and we run it every 2-3 days April to November. I see no reason for any fuel stabilizer until November since I'm turning the gas over so often.

2) I was originally wanted to store it off lift "inside", but was told by tech that since I did not have a trailer for it. (Didn't buy one, because I don't plan on going to any other lake), that they could store it but it would have to be shrink wrapped and stored outside, as a trailer is necessary to store it "inside". Check around any other boat dealerships for alternative storage. I didn't have a trailer for my last pontoon boat, and really missed out on visiting other lakes in the vicinity. Trailers are just good things to have if you have if you have a proper tow vehicle. You can buy a good tandem trailer for $2K or slightly over.

Should I have it shrink wrapped on the lift then, or just leave the "snap" custom canvas cover on that I bought for it. The canvas cover I has snaps every 8-inches all around the boat, and has a couple of posts to keep it from sagging as well as vented. It depends on how wet your boat gets throughout the year--since it's under a roof. A additional tarp or two may be sufficient if a little rain blows on your boat. Note: Shrink wrap is available at our local box/moving supply store--and it doesn't take a professional boat mechanic to install the stuff.

Also, it is OK to leave the outboard "uncovered", even though it will be somewhat protected some by the dock roof, or is there something I should cover it with. You can get OEM engine covers for about $80 on Amazon or EBayMotors.com

herbmmm

Cadet

I thought Seafoam was a stabilizer?

sawbld

Cadet

Battery
Leave on the boat, I have a dual marinco charger attached, even though it has a auto trickle charge, I just plug it in for a few hours a couple times a month... never had a problem..

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

Battery
Leave on the boat

Ha, that's a bad idea where I live! Last year, when it hit 27 below at my place I had a battery crack on one of my vehicles. What a mess. The batteries for the camper and the boat are now stored in the garage (which is heated to above freezing). I'll be rotating the charger between the batteries through the winter.

My fellow tooners

Just completed my rookie year with tooner. got to get it ready for winter. Small engine 9.9 4 stroke johnson. With all the damage that the ethanol seems to cause to the carbuerator why not just disconnect fuel line and let the engine fuel run out?

Also is it better to just empty the fuel tank out also and let it dry out? Just looking for some guidance

thanks!