Shift lever position to reconnect 1987 Alpha One Gen One lower unit

dschweers

Cadet
Have a 1987 Alpha One Gen One ( I think is is Gen One. It has the splined shaft for the gear shifting) which I replaced the raw water impeller. When I reconnected the lower unit which includes timing the gear shift splined shaft and the boat throttle/shift lever. I can get it timed correctly. Can anyone help me to position the throttle lever and the splined shaft in the lower unit to get it to go forward and backwards correctly? Or can it be done without removing the upper unit too?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shift lever position to reconnect 1987 Alpha One Gen One lower unit

The shift lever needs to be in forward gear and so does the drive itself so the two shift shaft line up and slide together.

View attachment A1 R&R.pdf

dschweers

Cadet

How far forward should the shift lever be and how do I determine if the lower unit is in forward gear?

Bondo

Staff member

How far forward should the shift lever be and how do I determine if the lower unit is in forward gear?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... The 1st detent of the controller is the shift, the rest of the travel is throttle,...

Push it as far as ya want...

Did ya click on the link Don provided for ya,...

It explains the lower, 'n how to check it...

dschweers

Cadet

Thanks for the throttle info. Don's link appears to be a different model. I'm trying to do it without removing the upper unit.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Push the throttle all the way forward, turn the splined lower ss all the way clockwise, turn the prop counterclockwise till it locks and hold counterclockwise pressure with a bungee. Your lower unit is now locked in forward, and your upper shift shaft is in forward. Now all you have to do when you put it back together is make sure the intermediate ss is pointed straight ahead when it slips over the lower ss (and matches the bottom of the upper ss). Just make sure the stainless steel washer is on the lower shift shaft (the intermediate ss rests on the washer). Should be good to go.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just curious, since you only removed the lower unit, does that mean all the necessary maintenance inside the bellows was done? Bellows checked for water, ujoints checked and greased, gimbal bearing checked for damage and greased (excess grease cleaned up). Alignment check and greasing the coupler splines (VERY Important).