Engine is in garage, do I need to winterize? 1986 Mercruiser 140

Jimmy H.

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been thinking about this lately... I bought this boat in May and it is getting a total restoration. The motor was winterized 3-4 years ago and was never used until this summer. I ran it twice in my driveway to make sure it worked good. http://youtu.be/ObV5_hrJWnY
After I drained all the water from all three drains and that's it. I wont be running it again until March and then plan on a tune up, plugs, fluids, hoses, filters, etc...
Do you think it is fine leaving it like that? We have a gas furnace in the garage so it wont go below freezing in there.

Thanks,

Jimmy

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine is in garage, do I need to winterize? 1986 Mercruiser 140

As far as "winterizing" goes, you should be fine if the garage doesn't reach freezing temps.

But for a long layup it's good practice to either fog the engine or remove plugs and squirt oil into the cylinders. Prevents rust formation, and that can happen even in a warm garage. Also, charge the battery once every couple of months.

Otherwise, you should be good.

tpenfield

Staff member

If you drained the water from the engine and related hoses, etc . . . then it is winterized. Maybe a little fogging oil would be good for the internals.

Jimmy H.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys.
Tpenfield, I wont be running it again so fogging it through the carb while running is out. Should I remove the plugs, spray a bunch down each cylinder and crank it over by hand a few times?
Also would the carb be full of fuel from when I ran it, is there an easy way to drain it out or should I bother?
Thanks again,
James

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Should I remove the plugs, spray a bunch down each cylinder and crank it over by hand a few times?

If it make you feel better...but for such short term "storage" it's not necessary. If it were being left out in the elements then I might...never fogged an engine before, and they've all started and ran with no problems after 6-7 months.

Also would the carb be full of fuel from when I ran it, is there an easy way to drain it out or should I bother?
Thanks again,

Yes...unless you starved it.
No...I wouldn't bother draining it.

Jimmy H.

Petty Officer 1st Class

You guys are the best. Thanks so much. Iboats kicks you know what!
James