merc 470. what went here?

littlelund

Cadet
I'm restoring a 26ft islander with a Merc 470. After redoing everything from the transom forward I locked up the upper outdrive on it's first trip out so I've decided to pull everything and now redo the transom, outdrive, gimbal, and rebuild the engine. I've noticed there is no power steering on this boat. It has the alternator conversion already done. But while pulling the engine today on the rear of the engine there is two holes in the block that look like bolts should go into a stringer like the front of the engine. I found two maybe 3/8 bolts just hanging down from the holes. I have no idea what went under the rear of the engine that these two bolts were at one time holding. Any Idea's? Not sure what I'm missing.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: merc 470. what went here?

On a 26 I would find a donor boat and change out everything with a V8. The bolts your asking about must be the rear engine mount bolts.

They should have went threw your transom plate and had nuts on them.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

rear motor mounts?
0e.jpg

littlelund

Cadet

bt doctur. Yeah I had the engine pins just like you pictured. These were down lower I'll have to snap a pic.

Lyle29464 I would like to do a 4.3 but with my one ride in the boat the 470 had plenty of torque and appeard to get up and go quite nicely. Since the boat is light, and it's a fishing boat that will spend most of it's time at 1.5-2.0 mph with the beaver troll plate down I think I'll enjoy the fuel savings. The original 470 has 2000 hrs on it and has never been touched so I think a refresh and go will be fine as long as all the internal check out. I can get a complete kit with pistons for 500 bucks.. If later I want to swap it out, atleast the 4.3 can reuse the outdrive as the gear ratio is the same.

Bondo

Staff member

bt doctur. Yeah I had the engine pins just like you pictured. These were down lower I'll have to snap a pic.

Lyle29464 I would like to do a 4.3 but with my one ride in the boat the 470 had plenty of torque and appeard to get up and go quite nicely. Since the boat is light, and it's a fishing boat that will spend most of it's time at 1.5-2.0 mph with the beaver troll plate down I think I'll enjoy the fuel savings. The original 470 has 2000 hrs on it and has never been touched so I think a refresh and go will be fine as long as all the internal check out. I can get a complete kit with pistons for 500 bucks.. If later I want to swap it out, atleast the 4.3 can reuse the outdrive as the gear ratio is the same.

Ayuh,... No reason for a picture, Nothing goes there...

littlelund

Cadet

Thanks Bond-0. I have no idea what the previous owner was trying to do but I'll forget about about.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go ahead and post a picture. I'm sure not positive what holes you are referring to.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I think that is there just to give it a flat spot in case you need to set the engine down on the ground out of the boat - like pictured here. Maybe even for crating purposes... but as mentioned above, nothing goes there when in the boat.

DSCF5559.jpg

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

As Mark said. They are for bolting the motor to a pallet or crate for safe shipping.