1955 Johnson 5.5 hp ignition plate.

mrubado

Recruit
I have a Johnson 1955 5 1/2 horse I am restoring.When I put the ignition plate on and tighten down it has up and down play like it is not tightening down.All parts are there.Could the bottom of the plate have excessive wear in it??Makes a clicking sound with flywheel on and tiller handle gets hard to turn at a certain point.Not from coils as they are flush.Play doesn't seem right.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1955 Johnson 5.5 hp ignition plate.

Minor play is ok, excessive wobble will cause issues. The following fix may help, just light taps though, dont over do it.

Support Ring Fix.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

A small amount of play is normal. Excessive slop is not. Under the armature (ignition) plate is a brass ring, and below that is an aluminum one with threads for the four screws holding the armature plate. That aluminum one may be upside down. It goes flat side up. OR the brass bushing cast in the center of the armature plate may be broken loose. There should be zero movement of that bushing within the aluminum plate. OR as you suggest, it may be worn out.

The coils dragging on the flywheel magnets are understandable, considering the play. Fix the slop and you will fix the dragging.

mrubado

Recruit

A small amount of play is normal. Excessive slop is not. Under the armature (ignition) plate is a brass ring, and below that is an aluminum one with threads for the four screws holding the armature plate. That aluminum one may be upside down. It goes flat side up. OR the brass bushing cast in the center of the armature plate may be broken loose. There should be zero movement of that bushing within the aluminum plate. OR as you suggest, it may be worn out.

The coils dragging on the flywheel magnets are understandable, considering the play. Fix the slop and you will fix the dragging.

Got thinking late last night and went down cellar took ignition plate off and lo and behold had the retaining ring in upside down.That's what I get for being tired.Tightened right up.Thanks everyone.